My Grandma | Teen Ink

My Grandma

May 10, 2012
By Emily Sanders BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma
Emily Sanders BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone has at least one person in life that they look up too, mine just happens to be my grandma. She is the most loving, gentle, compassionate and has a heart of gold. She has always had a great impact on my life. I don’t know where I would be without her.

My Grandmas name is Wilma Jean. She was born in a small town called South West City in Missouri. My grandma was born in to a poor family that consisted of 6 people total, but she didn’t let her families money issues stop her from having a good time, she has always told me money doesn’t buy happiness and to be grateful for what you have. She often talks about how they had to walk to Grade School every day regardless of any weather that might come their way, but her siblings and she managed to make it a fun trip no matter what. The children didn’t have many of the things we do today, instead of curling her hair, her sisters and she tore old cloths and socks to make rags to curl their hair with. Many things were different back then than they are now.

When my Grandma turned sixteen her father wanted her to marry the boyfriend that he chose for her. She didn’t like the boy or want to married to him, so she decided to take matters into her own hands and move into a small apartment by herself. She had to pay the bills so she had to find a job at a very young age. She later met my Grandpa, Ross Lee, at work one day. They fell in love with each other and wished to spend the rest of their lives together. My Grandma wanted her father to meet her new found love, so she brought him to her old house to meet her family. Her father did not like Ross though, and especially did not wish for them to be married. My Grandma decided she loved Ross very much, and with or without her father’s blessing she would marry him.

After my Grandparents got married they decided to have children. They were blessed with three boys; Randy, Lonnie, and Jimmy. They were the perfect family. They lived on a farm on the outskirts of Grove, where they raised horses, cattle, goats, donkeys, and any other animals the boy’s decided to bring home. My Dad says she was always kind and loving, but that she also had a wit about her that could make anyone laugh, which is how I hope to be when I am old enough to be a mother.

My Grandma is my best friend, my hero, and the best grandma that could be asked for. I plan on living my life in her footsteps. I hope to be at least half of the wonderful women my grandma is.


The author's comments:
I wrote this about my Grandma because she is my hero and the person i look up too in life