Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

March 1, 2012
By Jackson319 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
Jackson319 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Mrs. Michelle Sutton of Harmony Middle School should be the educator of the year. She is my Communication Arts teacher. Each day I look forward to coming to her class, because she is always in a great mood. If she isn’t in a great mood she never lets us know. Her sense of humor and uplifting attitude make her classroom a wonderful learning environment. Her teaching techniques help us understand literature and grammar while having fun.
One of the main reasons why Mrs. Sutton is my favorite teacher is because I fell like she genuinely cares about me as a person and not just a student. When she talks to any student, at the moment, helping them is the most important thing to her. When I am absent she is the only teacher who puts together all of the papers I need and gives them to me to complete. With other teachers I have to find the work and complete it without hearing the lesson I missed. When she does this it is one less thing for me to worry about and makes my life a lot less stressful.
When we read the play “The Diary of Anne Frank” she gave everybody a roll and we read it as a play. I found this much more entertaining and easy to pay attention to than a voice recording. Also when we read novels we are assigned to groups and each day we discuss with our group what we read. I feel much more comfortable talking to a few of my peers instead of the entire class. I also think groups are good, because everybody gets to have their opinion heard and discussed in the group. Mrs. Sutton also creates fun games to help us review the material before tests. For most kids who despise study this is a great way to prepare for a test.
Mrs. Sutton is a positive influence on every student in our school. She demands everybody, student and teachers, treat each other with respect. She constantly reminds us that no one person is more important than another. She expects us to have manners and be polite. She holds us to a very high standard, but only because she knows we are capable of excellence. Mrs. Sutton is a teacher who has devoted her life to young adults is helping raise the future.