The Wrong Flight | Teen Ink

The Wrong Flight

January 21, 2012
By TheGirlWhoWrites BRONZE, Knoxville, Tennessee
TheGirlWhoWrites BRONZE, Knoxville, Tennessee
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Call me over rated, or creative, or too jaded..
because any way you put it girl, I made it."


“Mom! Hahah!” I laughed, looking at my mom’s attempt to dance. “Let me show you how the pro does it, mother.” I started dancing on Just Dance 3 for the Wii. “And that’s how it’s done!” I bellowed, after winning. She giggled, and ran her hand through her golden hair. I looked like her, to a tee. Gold, lengthy, prancing hair that shined in the sun, caramel looking skin, and glimmering gray-green eyes. She looked at me, and then a smirk crept upon her face. “What’s that smirk for!?” I accused. “I have a surprise for you!” She giggled. “Spill!” She stood up, and grasped something in her pocket. “I have these!” I took them in my hand and examined them. “Oh..oh my gosh. We’re going to Dubai!!” I howled. She guffawed to herself, and then hugged me. “When!” I screeched. “Read, smarty!” She pointed down to a small print section on the plane ticket. “T-tomorrow!?” I extended my arms around her neck, and hugged her tightly. “Now, we need new clothes, right?” I said, sarcastically. “Hello! Duhh.” She said, trying to be with teen lingo. I chuckled at her to myself.

When I woke up, my clock read 10:53 A.M. “Wait…10:53!” The plane was leaving at 8 A.M. I zoomed downstairs to find my mom packing. “Please tell me you got a later flight or something..” She looked up at me with those indignant and wounded eyes. “Please tell me you didn’t get called-“ She nodded her head before I finished the sentence. I immediately started to weep as she kept shoving things into her suitcase. “How long? Are you leaving today? Right now?” I queried. “I don’t know how long…And yes.” She spoke, heartbroken. The car ride to the airport was loud – loud with silence. She already had her uniform on, and was ready to go. She put on her macho, tough personality and exited the car once we pulled up. She looked back at me, and sauntered towards me. She kissed me on my forehead, and hugged me tightly. “I’ll write.” She whispered, biting back tears. “Okay. I love you!” “I love you, too.” She mouthed. I saw the Sergeant give the command, and that’s when her deployment plane whisked off. That’s also the moment when I realized…that’s what a hero was. A person brave enough to leave one, but fight for everyone.


The author's comments:
I don't like how people consider heroes to an extent of superheroes. This is also a hero.