My Dad | Teen Ink

My Dad

January 12, 2012
By dalton etheredge BRONZE, Beckville, Texas
dalton etheredge BRONZE, Beckville, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

November 4, 2011

My dad has changed my life in many ways with his life. I am told by just about everybody we are just alike; I take that as a complement and he denies it. Although I can tell he knows we are just alike in many ways.

My dad was a really little guy growing up, but he didn’t let that stop him he played baseball and football but the coaches didn’t think much of him because he was so small. He ended up graduating from Carthage high school at the age of 17 he was five foot eight inches tall and weighed about one hundred and fifty pounds. The baseball coach didn’t like my dad because he was so small but he still let him play left field. My dad was one of the best on the team but he was little.

After high school he went to play at Panola Collage. He grew four inches and gained about forty pounds. He was the starting center fielder for Panola, and he was a site to see so I have heard. After two years of hard work and dedication to baseball; my dad agreed to go play for the Phillies after they drafted him. When he got there his rookie year he was the fastest one in their whole organization. He broke his arm that year and had to sit out and played for the next two. Dad quite his third year of playing do to the coach treating him differently.
I have learned it doesn’t matter how big or small you are you can achieve whatever you put your mind to all thanks to the changes in my dad’s life. Now he helps me try to get ready so maybe one day I can play baseball at a higher level.

The author's comments:
He does everything he can to better me and help me.