The Legacy of a Common Man | Teen Ink

The Legacy of a Common Man

By Adi12345 PLATINUM, Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
Adi12345 PLATINUM, Monmouth Junction, New Jersey

The gentle night breeze whipped across his face, scattering his tears all over his face; he just couldn’t take it, how on Earth was he supposed to do it? There was a time- it seemed like decades ago – when life was simply great! He was the captain of a soccer team, he had acquired the prestigious job of a postmaster general, and he had gotten married. Not much longer, he had a beautiful young daughter. But now… Things were different.
His parents had passed away, and so had his older sister. He was now left alone to support five younger siblings. His daughter had been diagnosed with a disability. She could not walk, talk, or even get out of bed without assistance, and would eventually pass away, too. How could he deal with so much grief, pain, and responsibility? More importantly, how was he supposed to make enough money to support his daughter’s medical bills, his siblings’ school bills and living expense, and after the ordeal, still have enough for his retirement?

This was the life of my thatha. With only one ray of sunshine to make him smile along the way, when another daughter was born, he passed twenty excruciating years with the mere thought that he couldn’t fail his family, and couldn’t fail to fulfill his role as the man in charge of the house, whatever it took. Nonetheless, after incessant toil, and an agonizing experience, he now lives in a humble home with reasonable pension.
As his grandson, it’s my duty to pass on the legacy of a great man who overcame great obstacles. Although these words barely dent the legacy of this miraculous person, I can begin by stating that those who follow his lead of selflessness and hard work will eventually find peace and success.