A Hero | Teen Ink

A Hero

By you_know_me112 BRONZE, Ventnor, New Jersey
you_know_me112 BRONZE, Ventnor, New Jersey

A hero could be many things. According to the Merriam Webster’s Pocket Dictionary, a hero is one that is much admired or shows great courage. Most people think a hero is a fireman or a policeman, and that is true. A hero could also be an ordinary, everyday citizen walking down the street. It could even be you or me. A hero could be anyone or anything.

A hero is someone who stops a burglar or saves somebody from something disastrous. In The Outsiders, Ponyboy and Johnny did this. They went into a burning church and saved many young children’s lives. If I were in the same position as them, I would do the same. I’m sure that if you were in the same position, you would save them, too. So don’t just stand there. Be a lifesaver. Be a role model. Be a hero.

There are many qualities that a hero possesses. They are being courageous, compassionate, valiant and to be caring. Ponyboy, Johnny, and Dally have these traits. Ponyboy and Johnny went into a burning church to save five children’s lives. Dally went into the church to try and get Johnny out of it. All three of these characters were very courageous and caring for one another and the children. So don’t ponder to save somebody, just do it. Be a hero.

You don’t need a cape to be a hero. You don’t need to be well known to be a hero. You don’t need a uniform or a cool- looking costume to be a hero. You just need to have a loving heart. This is what my mom has. When I was learning to ride a bike, but kept falling, my mom was right by my side to make sure I was alright. Then, when I finally learned how to ride it, she baked me a cake and bought me a brand new bike. So, anyone or anything could be a good- hearted hero.

I did this in Reading class!!!