Personal Tribute Essay | Teen Ink

Personal Tribute Essay

December 4, 2011
By pisser BRONZE, Commack, New York
pisser BRONZE, Commack, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts and we are never, ever the same.” My brother is the first person that I think of who has left, and continues to leave footprints on my heart. Craig is my 19 year old brother who is a sophomore in college. He is not just my brother, but my friend. We love to be together and do things, like going out to lunch and for ice cream. The reason that he leaves foot prints on my heart is because he inspires me. He pushes me to be a better person because of the amazing person he is. He is such an understanding, different and nonjudgmental guy, and I wish I could be more like him.

My brother has done many things that have combined to make the many footprints on my heart. From the beginning my parents always knew he wasn’t the “average” kid. He didn’t like anything that involved a ball, and loved to sing, and act. This is why for half of each day in high school he attended a high school for the arts. His confidence to do this inspires me to be different, and make my own decisions everyday. Craig is also a very understanding person. In his studies at college he is learning to speak Mandarin Chinese. He is never one to shy away from different cultures because he loves to learn about and understand the different ways of life. Next year he is spending six months studying in China. This just shows how nonjudgmental of a person he is for not being worried about the differences, but being excited about the experiences. These are some of the things Craig has done that really leave footprints on my heart.

Craig has affected me for the rest of my life. His great character and his view on live has inspired me to be a better person. He has pushed me to look at people on the inside and not their appearance. This is because when ever we meet someone new together he doesn’t even take into consideration their race or looks. He judges people by their heart, and that makes me want to do so too. Also he has showed me that it is okay to be different. Because of this I am not afraid to look or act different than the people around me. Now because of Craig when I walk into a room I see people for who they are on the inside, and not the outside. An example of this is when I go to camp, and there are new campers, I don’t decide if they are going to be good friends by what they where or how they look, I look at their hearts and their values to see if they are good people. Craig has impacted me in so many ways, and I will never really be able to thank him enough.

Even though he may not act like the older sibling sometimes, Craig is my older brother, and will always be. He is my inspiration in life, and the one who I look at as a perfect person. We may fight over what channel to watch on TV or who gets to sit in the front seat of the car but we will always love each other, and I know he always wants what is best for me. You may view my brother as awkward and weird but I see him as perfect.

The author's comments:
In this piece, I wrote about my brother who has made a huge impact on my life. He is someone who I think deserves to be honored.