She Means The World To Me | Teen Ink

She Means The World To Me

By NikNik12 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
NikNik12 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

Spiderman, Superman, Batman, and Iron Man are extraordinary people. What do they all have in common? Every one of them is a young child’s hero, and they have many extraordinary accomplishments. Well, it may come as a surprise, but my favorite superhero is my one and only mom. Those fictional characters may be capable of lifting cars and flying, but my mom is invincible in every day life.

The main reason my mom is my hero is because of her job. On certain days of the week, my mom works in the Oncology department of the hospital, and her job has to be extremely hard. Watching her patients fight for their lives because they don’t have a cure for cancer is extremely hard. When she talks about those people, she only has the sweetest words to say about how the people are amazing, all around good people who don’t deserve this. It seems there are certain patients I hear more about. Glen, who my mom says is feisty, is entertaining because he was in the war, and he is always looking to fight with someone. Another is super sweet and thinks my mom is amazing. Many of her patients don’t last through chemotherapy, and when she looks in the paper the next day and she sees that one of her patients has just died, it’s sad. Reading their obituary in the paper has to be one of the worst parts. When she gets to know somebody, she has to remind herself that everything happens for a reason, and since she has taken this new job, it has given my family a new perspective on life.
One day I went in with her because I needed a ride to practice, and since I didn’t have my license, I stayed there while my mom finished up her last patient. Her patient told me, “Your mom is an amazing person, and she does so much for me.” Hearing that made me realize that what she does makes a huge impact on the lives of the individuals she helps. It takes a strong person to do what she does day in and day out.
Since the day I was born, I was special to my parents because I am the only daughter and the youngest. On long summer days, she stayed home with me, and I absolutely loved it. In the warm, breezy evenings, we’d take a walk or a bike ride when the sun was setting and the skies were turning orange and red. When we rode, she would go my pace because it took my little legs more energy than it took her big legs. Sometimes we even rode after a long day of school. Different questions were asked such as, “How was your day, sweetheart?” It’d take me forever to respond because I had so much to say, but I would settle on, “Fine. How was yours?” Then she would ask, “How is school?” Once again I’d have too much to say, and I’d decide on, “It’s fine. I’m getting good grades.” Her next words were always, “I’m proud of you for working hard and doing your best!” Hearing these powerful words, I’d peddle faster because it meant the world to me to hear my mom say that, and it made me want to do better right then and there.
In her mind, I was always a daddy’s girl, so it surprised her when I wanted to help her. Because I wanted to grow up to be exactly like my mom, I’d have to help her roll out cookie dough on the counter or put together a cake. If it weren’t for my mom, I wouldn’t remember anything. I’d lose my head if it weren’t attached, and I honestly don’t think she cares about reminding me because it makes her feel needed. A couple weeks ago, I lost my most prized possession: my baby blanket. I was looking for it, and I couldn’t find it. Searching every place I could think of, I yelled down to ask my mom if she knew where it was. She said, “It’s in your middle dresser. Look under your yellow sweatpants.” When she said this, I was confused because it was there. Mom was right, as always. Each and every one of the simple tasks she does makes my life, my brothers’ life, and my dad’s life easier.
When I go to college, I’m scared I’ll have nobody, but my mom will only be a phone call away. No matter what, she will always be there. Even when I’m sick in the future, I’ll be giving her call and complaining about what’s wrong. On the days I call, it won’t annoy her because every mom needs to feel wanted, and she wants a girl to talk to every once in a while. Missing me will be hard on her because I’m such a huge part of her life. Kids all around the world are guilty of not appreciating their moms, and not saying thanks enough. Since not everything is easy to see, I’ll make sure I show admiration to my mom more often. Hopefully, my mom knows that she means the world to me, and I am grateful for each and everything she does.

otherpoet SILVER, Wayland, Massachusetts

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

this is super sweet! I want to be an oncologist when I'm older, of course, I have great respect for what your mother does. I'm sure this piece ment the world to her! Keep writing!