My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

November 4, 2011
By Audipoo BRONZE, Hemet, California
Audipoo BRONZE, Hemet, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The windows are rolled down as we zoom through the streets of Hemet. The cool summer night’s air tossels my hair back and forth and gently caresses my skin. The sweet smell of blossoming oranges enters my nose and is accompanied by the angelic harmonies of the music playing. All the stresses of my life are blown out the window and left far behind as we venture further into town. All I feel is peace, knowing that everything is okay and I can go on. I look over at my brother, and in that instance I realized that he is not just my brother, but he is my hero.

Andrew Wayment is not just a brother to me, but he is the reason behind many of the things I do and the reason why I enjoy things. Andrew was always striving to be the best in school and have the top grades which he achieved by putting his heart and soul into his work. I try everyday to be more like Andrew and do my best to accomplish stellar grades. Whenever I am sitting up at night battling my eye lids from shutting rather than studying, I think of Andrew and I push forward. Every time I hear music I am reminded of him because that was something special we shared. Many times we would just sit and listen to music and that would be our way of communicating. He was my hero in every way and I try to be more like him every day because he means the world to me.

Right now Andrew is serving a mission in Geneva, Switzerland and the only way for me to communicate with him is through letters. Not a day goes by that I am not reminded of him in some way. Whenever I go into French class I see a picture of him smiling ear to ear, a smile that I waited by the door for every day, a smile that revived me from even my gloomiest moods. Andrew is gone now, but I am still waiting. I am waiting for his letters which make me the happiest girl in the world. I am waiting for the day that he will walk through my heavy red door, embellished with ornate pieces of glass harboring that smile that I love.

But for now I am busy, busy with trying to follow in the footsteps of my hero. I am working hard and harder to be as great as he is. Everything I do I take great pride in because I know that that is what Andrew did. Through the hardest of times Andrew is in the back of my mind pushing me along, helping me become the greatest I can be. Andrew will always be my strongest motivation.

I love Andrew Wayment more than words can describe and no matter what happens I always will. He is the reason that I do what I do and am what I am. I know that he will always be there for me whenever I need him. I can’t wait for the moment that he and I will be reunited. Andrew Wayment is truly my hero.