My Brother | Teen Ink

My Brother

By Kayroxy101 GOLD, Ringwood, New Jersey
Kayroxy101 GOLD, Ringwood, New Jersey

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference." ~ Robert Frost

"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence."~ Augustus Waters, The Fault in Our Stars

"He had brown hair and blue-green eyes. No matter how much I grew he was always a foot taller than me. So I always looked up to him. He always told me what was right and what was wrong. Whenever I was confused, he would help me not to be. Whenever I wanted to make something or go somewhere, there he was. On every occasion that there wasn't enough seats; he would let me sit on his lap so I wouldn't have to stand. If I wanted to play a game he was there to say, 'Yeah, I'll play with you!' He was my leader and I was always following. He joined Recreation soccer, so did I. He taught me how to play cards. He taught me that a little imagination and stuffed animals could make a whole new world. He taught me how to be a better baseball player. He influenced me to do my best in school and in life. I would always tell myself, 'I wanna be exactly like him when I grow up." But I can't. I can't be exactly like him. No two people are alike. He taught me I have to be my own person. I have to find myself and let it shine through. So that's what I'm doing. Maybe I'll never be as smart as he is. And maybe I'll never be as tall or as talented...But I'll be myself. And I know no matter what happens he'll always be there and I'll always be looking up to my older brother, Kris.

For an application, I had to write about someone who inspires me. So that's just what I did.