My Dad | Teen Ink

My Dad

By Erika1029384756 BRONZE, Covington, Louisiana
Erika1029384756 BRONZE, Covington, Louisiana

"Carpe Diem, seize the day boys."

On July 1, 1960, the most important man in the world was born, my dad. He grew up in downtown New Orleans, in a subdivision called Le Beus. Le Beaus does not exist anymore, it was destroyed in Katrina.

My dad was a skinny, wimpy, long haired nerd since he was 5 years old. In his first year of high school a whole garbage can full of disgusting mud was dumped on top of him, and after, he was dumped in it. There is even a picture of it in the yearbook. My dad always tells me stories about how high school was hell to him, he wasn't the nerdiest in the school but he wasn't the jock that played all the sports. He was more into cowboys and baseball. His one dream when he got out of high school was to fly a fighter jet.

Almost a month or two into his freshman year of college, he had the biggest growth spurt of his life, going from 5 6" to 6 feet tall. From 120 pounds to 190, and pure muscle. All of a sudden, he was the popular guy that all the girls wanted to date, with the pictures to prove.

Since he got into the partying life, he forgot about all the studying and preparing you have to do for college. And he failed his first year at LSU, and at the time, my grandparents couldn't afford to pay for his second year. So my dad had to skip a year of college to work with construction. At his construction job, he nailed his thumb to a door, and now has a scar.

He loved construction so much, he decided to major in it once he went back to college. When my dad returned to college for his sophomore year, he studied every night, determined to make tops in his class. And he succeeded. He finished his college life at LSU with a 4.0 and tops.

A year after college, he entered the navy. He had all of the qualifications and he was in top shape. He signed a deal that he would serve in the navy for 8 years.

The first 3 years were hard, he had drill sergeants yelling at him, his bed had to be neat every day and he traveled every where. His favorite place, he tells me, that he ever was stationed was key west. Because they had good beer, good people, and good food.

After years, he was stationed as Lieutenant, a very high role in the navy. He know how to fly planes, helicopters, boats, anything. Although, some of his friends weren't as fortunate and died training to fly.

My dad was stationed in Puerto Rico in his last year in the navy, and this is where he met my mom. A year later they were married and moved to Lafayette. 3 years later, the joy of their life was born, me.

My dad

onedirectionlover GOLD, Hampton, Virginia, Virginia
Hey, my dad was in the NAVY too, he went all over the world, like Sisily (I can't sleep that) and the Marshell Islands. Cool story.