Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.------ A MAN OF ACTIONS AND BELIEF | Teen Ink

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.------ A MAN OF ACTIONS AND BELIEF

August 2, 2011
By Divagirl508 BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
Divagirl508 BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
3 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is easy to get to the top after you get through the crowd at the bottom .


INTRODUCTION: What is a hero? Is a hero someone who have supernatural power or someone that could fly in the sky like Spiderman or batman? No! A hero is someone we look up to. Almost similar to as a role model. A hero is someone that will sacrifice their body and soul just to protect us. If we think of a heroes there are many to choose from. Some might say their heroes are Sojourner Truth, Malcolm X, Maya Anglos, and many more as follow. But my hero is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. A man with confidence, strength and abilities in order to accomplish in what he believes in. The movements and marches he led brought significant changes in the fabric of American life through his courage and selfless devotion. His charismatic leadership had inspired men and women, young and old, in this nation and around the world.


Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is a civil rights leader. Martin is a vital figure of the modern era. Dr. King was born on January 15, 1929 at the family home in Atlanta Georgia. When Martin was just five years old he began school attending the Yonge Street Elementary School in Atlanta. Because of Martin Luther King reflection on his education and getting high scores on the college entrance examinations in his junior year of high school he was advanced to Morehouse College at the age of fifteen having to skipped both ninth and twelfth grades. With such honor, in 1948 Dr. King graduated from Morehouse College with a B.A. degrees in Sociology. Martin was a very intelligent kid. His ambitions were far more than you would expect. He was elected President of his senior class and won the Peral Plafkner award for being an outstanding student.

With so much of what he had accomplish there were on thing that alarmed Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. ------ and that was change. During the time of Martin year segregation was taking place and Martin wanted change. A drastic one too. Martin believes everyone had equal rights and no one should be treated any different because of their skin color. Segregation year was a hard time for all black people. Black peoples were treated with less respect. Black peoples couldn’t shop where White people shop. They couldn’t eat in the same restaurant or attend the same school. Due to such law Martin decided to take actions by changing the face of the world and to be heard out to all generations. With such a strong voice Martin didn’t rest until he was heard all over the world by strong speeches and messages. King was a man figure in the Civil Rights Movement. People who also believe in equal rights stood by Martin side. They put up signs wanting and asking of changes. The oppose team wasn’t happy about what was going on. The more the people march for freedom and respect and equal rights at end results they were throw down by such aggressive behavior. The cops would send dogs on them and sprayed water too, but no matter what they did to these people they didn’t give up. To them it was either tries hard or died trying.

Martin on the other hands was arrested thirty times for his participation in the civil rights activities. The more they arrested him it made him stronger. ‘’I have a dream,’’ was one of martin famous speech ever. At the March on Washington in 1963 Martin stated, ‘’I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.’’ Martin proves to the world that he had a dream. With what he believes in he fought for us sacrificing his life for us too. His speeches affected other, but not all in general. Martin knew he couldn’t change everybody perspectives base on what they see or think, but he could reach out among the majority of the people by his voice. And he accomplishes just that.

Martin Luther King Jr. was shot on April 4, 1968. His funeral services were held on April 9, 1968 at Ebenezer Baptist Church and on the campus of Morehouse College.

‘’Free at last, free at last. Thank God almighty, we are free at last.’’

Yes, Martin may be gone but he will never be forgotten. His lectures and dialogues stirred the concerns and sparked the conscience of generation. His wisdom, his words, his actions, his commitment, and his dream for a new way of life would forever lives in us throughout the American experience.


‘’I have a dream that one day black boys and black girls will join hands with White boys and White girls as sisters and brothers, I have a dream today.’’

Many blessing to Martin Luther King Jr. RIP!


The author's comments:
I hope people understand the purpose of this article. To see behind racism and to get out the postive things in it. To read about a man who was once there for us.