Finding Myself in Friendship | Teen Ink

Finding Myself in Friendship

March 10, 2011
By jessie301 BRONZE, Clinton, Connecticut
jessie301 BRONZE, Clinton, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Jessie, will we be friends forever?” It’s hard to believe these words were spoken to me by a fourth grader eight years ago. She and I played pretend at recess that day, the day we first met, running around with our arms spread out like planes, rocking on the balance beam, making believe it was a shipwrecked boat. That little girl pulled me around on the playground, expanding my imagination like a blossoming rose. We soon trusted only each other with whispered secrets and pinky promises, and we spent every weekend together. Our friendship eventually grew into more than just childish games. My best friend has shaped me into the person I am today, so it is Daphne I should thank for giving me a shoulder to cry on and someone to speak to in confidence, for giving me my love of reading and writing, and for teaching me not to be afraid to speak my mind.

Because Daphne and I trust each other so completely, it’s easy to call ourselves best friends. Whenever one of us is stressed or is having issues at home, we know we can confide in one another. I have also gained confidence by having Daphne as a friend. Because she completely trusts and has faith in me, I am open to trying activities that are foreign to me. Just a few weeks ago, for example, Daphne and I were bored, so we decided I was going to cut her hair. “Just do whatever you want with it. I completely trust you,” she said. It might be silly, but the fact that I had no idea how to cut hair and that she nevertheless told me to do whatever, makes me love her even more. In addition, I have mastered the skill of public speaking because of her. Every time I talk to a big group of people, such as a class, or my Environmental and Yearbook clubs at school, I just pretend I’m talking to Daphne, like we’re having a normal conversation and I’m making her laugh with my witty jokes.

Over the years, Daphne has bestowed upon me her love of reading. I could thank her endlessly for opening my eyes to books, because without them my life would be insipid and dull. She encourages me to keep writing by reading what I write, and I, in turn, read what she has written. Every time I read one of Daphne’s short stories I think to myself how much more captivating it is compared to popular teen books. Teachers often boast about her work and what a talented writer she is. Her writing is indeed unbelievable and having the fairies and monsters pop off of the pages and into real life inspires me to keep writing; maybe I’ll be as talented as she is one day.
Anyone who looks into Daphne’s soulful blue eyes can tell she is a free spirit. It’s almost as if she is looking at life through rose-colored glasses and needs to be pulled down to earth once in awhile. Because we’re so different in that way, me being completely grounded, she influences me by reminding me to never stop dreaming: “Jessie”, she often says, “Everyone tells me to take a closer look at reality. If I cannot dream, then why am I alive?” Without Daphne, I would be a completely bland person, wandering through life with no direction. I wouldn’t have realized that I love nature and hate the city, or that appearances are just a façade and do not necessarily reflect what someone is like on the inside. Although Daphne often keeps her head up in the clouds, she is completely dedicated to school work. I definitely would not have gotten through three years of honors and two AP classes without her. I’m sure her constant reminders about the value of achieving good grades have made me ready for college and whatever comes after that.


I will always remember that day eight years ago when I saw a forlorn little girl swinging by herself at recess. If I hadn’t gone over and asked her to play with me, would I be the imaginative, ambitious person I am today? Whatever the case, I now know that each day of life is a classroom, and thank you, Daphne, for showing me that we can be both teacher and student.