"A Mother's Love" | Teen Ink

"A Mother's Love"

January 12, 2011
By fina11yseniorx3 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
fina11yseniorx3 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

A wise person once said,"to the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world." This inspirational saying illustrates the unconditional love a mother has for her child and the reciprocated admiration the child possesses for his or her mother. I have been blessed with a mother whom I consider to be one of the most influential people in my life. Her immense love for her family and unfaltering perseverance in the face of adversity makes her an amazing role model and someone I aspire to emulate. Unfortunately, due to the business of daily life, I do not always get the chance to express how much she truly means to me when, in reality, it is her love and kindness that has shaped me into the young woman I am today.

When my mother was eight months old, she became ill with chicken pox and measles. Due to the high fever that accompanied these ailments, she completely lost her hearing. Instead of dwelling on her disability, my ever optimistic mother constantly thanks God for allowing her a chance to live past infancy and to fully experience life. Her faith surpasses that of anyone I have ever met. Although she has faced so many obstacles in her life that could easily deter one's religious convictions, she has remained close to God. In my household, there is no excuse not to go to mass. According to my mother, no swim meet, football game or birthday party ever takes precedent over going to Church, receiving Communion and visiting the statue of the Blessed Mother that reverently adorns a corner of our parish Church. I cannot remember a time when I was unaware of the identity of the Blessed Mother, the Mother of God. As a child, I remember thinking how lucky I was to not have one, but two mothers who loved me so unconditionally.

My mother is also one of the strongest people I have ever met. Through her words and actions, she has shown me that strength and perseverance are two important characteristics that can truly move mountains. When my mother was little, my grandmother was told by a doctor that my mother would never be able to speak or attend a “normal” school. Outraged, my grandmother stormed out of the office and vowed never to never let this prediction come true. Instead, my mother was enrolled in an intense speech enhancement program and attended a regular school where she attended classes with hearing children. Although it was my grandmother's initial effort, it was my mother herself who surpassed the doctor's expectations. Not only did she learn to speak, but she learned how to read lips and communicate with others. While my mother's speech might not be perfect, its soft, tender tone is enough to make me smile even on my worst days. To me, one's speech is about the words one says, not how they articulate them. After graduating high school, my mother's hard work and stamina led to her excel at Immaculata University and graduate with a degree in nutrition. With her warm presence and hilarious wit, others are instantly drawn to her. She has wonderful, lasting friendships and a great relationship with my father. Although she has encountered many negative and ignorant people in her lifetime, she does not let them effect her. Instead, she surrounds herself with those who love and care for her, and she vehemently encourages my brother and me to do the same.

In many ways, my mother's positive example has helped me become a better person. Words simply cannot describe all the ways she has effected me throughout my life and how much I love and admire her. Although she is just one person, she is a major part of my life and a major part of my “world” and I am forever grateful to have her as my mother.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece for my mother for a birthday present. I thought it was able to convey more than a traditional birthday card could.