The Giver | Teen Ink

The Giver

By Aleks_K BRONZE, Lincoln, Massachusetts
Aleks_K BRONZE, Lincoln, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

I ain't settlin'
For just getting by
I've had enough so-so
For the rest of my life
Tired of shooting too low
So raise the bar high
"Just enough," ain't enough this time
I ain't settlin' for anything less than everything -Sugarland

What is a hero? I asked myself one day. Is it someone who can fly with lighting speed? Someone who has the power to lift ten cars without breaking a sweat? Or is it someone who can predict your thoughts? As I thought about it, the more I became confused. A hero is someone who I look up to, a person who I want to be when I grow up. I think of running fast to get away from the bullies. Or how about having super strength to get me through working out in gym class? Being able to read thoughts would also be good if I had someone who knew the entire math test sitting next to me. All those are great, but is that what I think of being my hero? I want them, but not that bad. I want a hero who can teach me to stand up against bullies, not run away from. I want to be able to build my endurance and live healthy like my gym teachers, not just be strong. And I want to learn math, not just cheat. Those people with those powers couldn’t be my heroes. So then, who is my hero?

My hero is someone who had the greatest super power. My hero was someone who took a hold of my mind and sent me on a journey to the four corners of the world that wasn’t my own. He taught me to stand up to bullies, dragons, orcs, and the evil kind. He forgave my mistakes and encouraged my dreams. He helped me discover the magic that I had all along. My hero explained that not all is lost if someone is willing to look. He showed me that even the small, shy, and scared beings can help the world with a simple action: believing. My hero didn’t need strength, speed, or mental prowess to make him super; only the words he shared with me.

My hero is J.R.R. Tolkien. He can be your hero too, but you must we warned for he has the power to change you. To make you look at the world through light, not shadow. He has the ability to have you be strong, courage’s, and most of all, happy. My hero is a man who doesn’t just believe in magic, but grasps it with his hands and shares it to those who ask for it. I have taken it, have you?
"onen i-estel edain, u-chebin estel anim
(I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.)"
— J.R.R. Tolkien

He has inspired me to write for many years. He truly is a hero.