My Military Hero | Teen Ink

My Military Hero

November 18, 2010
By Gregory BRONZE, Grand Junction, Michigan
Gregory BRONZE, Grand Junction, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When people think of heroes, they often think about super heroes like Superman, Spiderman, or the Green Lantern. Some might think of super heroes like Audie Murphy, or hometown heroes like the police, firefighters, or doctors. But when I think about heroes, I think about my dad.

From the cool climate of Germany to the hot sandy plains of Kuwait, there was one man there ready to save a life. Whether it was a small cut or a bullet in the chest, my dad was always there to help.

In Germany, he was an army combat medic. Their mission was to protect East Germans from the Russians during the Cold War. They were protecting the East German Border. This was a truly awesome task.

My dad and I are really close. We are just like best friends. We go hunting; we go to the store. My dad and I do just about everything together.

He was on the Lee Township Fire Department for ten years. Dad was in the military for twenty years. He was in the Army for six years, and he was in the Air Force for fourteen years. But in September of 2009, my dad retired from the Air Force.

If I didn’t have my dad, I would be completely lost. I would not know what to do or where to go. My dad is my best friend, mentor, and role model. But most importantly, he is my hero.