Hero Long Gone | Teen Ink

Hero Long Gone

October 20, 2010
By JaCaAm SILVER, East Jordan, Michigan
JaCaAm SILVER, East Jordan, Michigan
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
life goes on


When I was a kid I always thought that then, being a hero meant that you had to have powers and save people while doing what is right. As I grew older, I learned that you don’t have to have powers or save a life to be a hero. You just have to do what is right even when it’s the hardest thing to do. As a child, Superman was my hero. He would always defeat the bad guys, do the right thing and, of course, was super strong, fast and had laser vision. Now my hero has changed, from Superman to Bruce Lee because even though he had no super powers, he changed the way people thought. Not only in race but in how people fought and worked out. What made those two people my heroes is that they always fought for what was right.
My childhood hero was like for most kids one of the biggest influences in my life. My morals came from three different places. The first was my parents who taught me how to act and told me what kind of person to be. The second was my teachers who showed me the many paths I could take in life. The last was my hero, who showed me how to choose what was right from wrong. My hero was like for so many children at my age, Superman. The one thing that stuck out from all the other superheroes was that even in the most difficult situations he could choose right from wrong without a doubt. He had the unbelievable super powers of flying, super strength and so much more. He would defeat the bad guys and always seemed to know what was right. He could save the world and therefore, save so many people’s lives. I used to think that was what it took to be a hero. Now that I have grown older I see that what really made him a superhero was that fact that he used his powers for good and did what was right.

My hero to this day is Bruce Lee. He is my hero because he was such an influence in so many people’s lives, including mine. Bruce Lee changed the way people thought about his race. Chinese people used to be seen as nutty and comical with no smarts. When Bruce Lee came into the picture he showed that they were a race that demanded respect too. One of the things that made Bruce Lee my hero was not because of his one inch punch or that he was one of the best fighters in the world it was because he was a philosopher. What he taught people was more important than how he fought or what movies he did. He would always say “To be like water” he would say things like water is ever changing and its turns into what you put it in if you put water into a cup it becomes the cup, if you put water into a bowl in turns into the bowl He educated people these values in life and that’s what I respected and looked up to most about him.


The author's comments:
I wrote this to show everybody that everything doesn't change and who you look up to now is similar to who you looked up to when you were little