Heroes: What You Make of Them | Teen Ink

Heroes: What You Make of Them

By Alex4riceking BRONZE, Laguna Hills, California
Alex4riceking BRONZE, Laguna Hills, California

You can't always get what you want/ But if you try sometime you migt find/ You get what you need.

-Mick Jagger and Keith Richards

It always seems like my parents and I come from two different worlds, separated by a language barrier. It is embarrassing sometimes to be with them and hear them ask, “Do you wear underwear today?” when they actually intend to say, “Did you go anywhere today?” Although their pronunciations are not entirely understandable, nevertheless, they have gone out of their way to provide the best for me. Battling harassment and stereotypes, my parents struggled to live in the United States to find jobs that would cover our financial needs. They soon became my wheels for motivation and my engine to success.

My mom, known as the provider, sacrificed a lot of her time in order to supply the family with enough food and clothes. She held the typical homemaker job, but also worked long hours as a manicurist and pedicurist, slaving away behind the nail clippers and nail polish. What amazed me most of all was her ability to come home from her ten hour workdays and cook a delicious meal for the entire family. If I were her, I would have collapsed immediately on the couch and slept until the next morning. For these reasons, my mom is undoubtedly a Superwoman to me.

What struck me most significantly was the time when I awoke at two in the morning to the sound of the bathroom door closing. I discovered that my dad had a daily routine of waking up at two A.M. and driving one hour to work, including weekends. He would work about twelve hours a day, come home exhausted with bloodshot eyes, help my mom cook dinner, and finally sleep for about three to four hours. The cycle repeats itself day after day and this is the reason why my dad is a Superman to me.
Undoubtedly, my parents are my ultimate role models and heroes. Even though we do not live in a spacious and grand house or drive fancy sports car, they are very successful through my eyes. Success is not defined by the amount of wealth possessed nor the values of material goods but it is, in my opinion, feeling accomplished through all the time and hard work spent in attaining those items. Through the sacrifices that my parents have made, I am, by no means, going to waste their eighteen years of hard work raising me. I will take every opportunity that I have to be as successful as my parents. As I’ve watched them through the years, I’ve learned that things will not always go in my favors and things will fall apart now and then, but the true test of character is persevering through times when you’re hit the hardest and turning failures into success. I have counted my blessings and have grown to not take anything for granted. In the end, I hope that my parents will be proud of what I have accomplished as I continue to reach for the sky, just like Superman.

I wrote this piece in honors of my beloved parents. I hope everyone will someday find their own heroes to look up to.

on Oct. 13 2010 at 9:27 am
This inspired me because you aren't embarassed by your parents and I think it is great that you love what they do and how they can handle working long hours to come home and cook. Get barely any sleep...

Amiee said...

i agree with kunaal2koool

this is amazing ! ^^ 

kunaal2koool said...
Alex, this is amazing, and inspiring. God is with you my bro. You go man!