"The Force" Within Starwars | Teen Ink

"The Force" Within Starwars

By Jacquelynne BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
Jacquelynne BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

George Lucas uses vivid archetypal imagery while directing Star Wars, a story of a boy, Luke Skywalker, who endures a harrowing journey and completes the heroic cycle.

The heroic cycle begins with Luke Skywalker’s orientation in the everyday world. He is introduced dressed in white and gray-layered clothing. The color and style of Skywalker’s clothing is ultimately foreshadowing to Luke’s personality. The white shirt symbolizes hope and pure heartedness, and this connects to Lucas’s vision because Luke Skywalker is the protagonist and the only hope for Princess Lea to survive. The gray pants inevitably give the impression of an unsure boy, not following a specific path in life. To make the unsure Luke even more confused, he receives a message delivered by R2D2 from Princess Lea. The quest is to find Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi, and use his help to rescue her from Darth Vader’s harm. While trying to find R2D2, Luke stumbles upon Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi. George Lucas immediately forces the idea Ben Kenobi is wise by using the old man archetype. He did not accomplish this by stating Ben’s age; how ever, he gives the Kenobi character classic, old-man characteristics. Obi-Wan Kenobi being the wise man, helps Luke learn fighting tactics. Luke, Ben, C3PO, and R2D2 become allies in order to save Princess Lea and defeat Darth Vader.

Together the allies fight to save the princess. Along the way, Luke Skywalker experiences multiple entities blocking his protection of Princess Lea. He has to first train with Obi- Wan Kenobi to learn “the force.” He also practices daily fighting techniques; such as, using his blue light saber to full potential. It is predictable George Lucas would give Luke Skywalker’s character a blue light saber because blue is connected to security, hope and tranquility. Once Luke masters “the force,” Han Solo becomes apart of the allies. Together the team travels to space to save Princess Lea, and destroy the death star.

The instant Luke Skywalker and his squad lands on the Death Star, they are vigorously thrown into a battle. Storm troupers are trying to prevent the kidnapping of the princess. Unfortunately, Luke looses one of his closest allies. Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi is killed by Darth Vader. After much internal thought, to give up or be a hero, Skywalker accepts and faithfully uses “the force.” Luke, Han, R2D2, and C3PO continue on to rescue Princess Lea. Upon saving Princess Lea, Luke realizes his heroic duty to save her people. Throughout Star Wars, George Lucas creates a sense of divinity and perfection throughout the positive characters within the story. Specifically, Princess Lea exemplifies this archetype by wearing flowing, white, angelic like clothing. However, Princess Lea also has bright red lips which signifies her imperfections and the sense of lust her character provides. With the princess saved, Luke once again uses “the force” to be a true hero. He chooses not to use a mechanical targeting system; utilizing “the force,” Luke destroys the Death Star. Thus, saving an entire innocent civilization.

Ensuing, the defeat of Darth Vader, along with the Death Star, and salvation of the princess, Luke and his friends receive a medal. This public declaration of heroism, was an honest reward to the newly found Jedi.

The heroic cycle is completed by the Luke Skywalker character to perfection, with the aide of George Lucas and the noticeable, brilliant, archetype imagery.

khellific said...
I like how you refered to something almost everyone knows about and has seen.

i <3 haters said...
i like how lukes cloths represent him. and i also like how c3po, r2d2, obie wan, and luke for an allie to defeat darth vador.

teboco said...
So enjoyed the references to symbolism within the article.   Imagery was so important to the story line.   Always awesome to hear another viewpoint on such an old classic.    

This was pretty dope. I was gonna rent the DVD but now I dont have to. This chick should right books and stuff

jeremyweems said...
What a wonderful review.  Good word choice and excellent use of adjectives.  It created a very vivid picture in a succinct summary.

Robstevens said...
Jacque has written an excellent paper.  I am highly impressed with this young lady.