Stranger With A Message

By , Merrimack, NH
I met my hero on August 8, 2010 at approximately 3 in the morning. He didn't come to change my life, he didn't come to become my hero- but he did.

He came bearing a message of hope and faith. I will now relay his story to you in my own words.

'In highschool I was always out partying and drinking. I could've gotten better grades, but I never really cared. After highscool I figured I had already ruined my life, so I continued drinking and partying. Then one day, I saw a guy on tv who had always been a big drinker, but he managed to turn his life around. It was pretty inspiring, but I still didn't think I could change my life around. Then one day I was suddenly struck with that thought that, if I wanted to change my life, I could. I just needed to take a step in the right direction, and for me, that was saying no to drinking.'

That guy is now three months sober and going to college to become a chef. Everybody was completely silent when he told this story. I shook his hand afterwards and I felt honored to do so.

He is a true hero. He is somebody we should all look up to. He inspired me to take a step in the right direction to change my life and I hope this story inspired you as well.