Boomsock | Teen Ink

Boomsock

By BSW13 BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
BSW13 BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland

"If you can touch it, you can catch it."

I don’t exactly know how to start this, but I know my grandfather would want me to start with “Boomsock,” so here we go: Boomsock.
I bet you are all wondering what I am talking about, but frankly, I don’t know. You see, this word has no real meaning, but if I was asked to define it, I would say:
“Boomsock: Verb, Noun, Adjective; A common phrase said by Harry Benninghoff, my grandfather, my Popop; The one who was always filled with pride, courage, and strength; the athlete, the perfect student, and that overall friendly person, who just happened to be my grandfather.
I remember all of those times when he took us to the Ballpark; Camden Yards, Home of the Orioles. I can still hear his laugh, see his smile, feel his excitement, his happiness, which was surely present during every pitch, every hit, every hotdog consumed in the Ballpark.
And then there were his many cowboy hats that he wore no matter what the season, and they just became a part of who he was. He brightened everyone’s day, and brought smiles with him wherever he went. Just his presence brought back many wonderful memories, which made every day feel like Christmas.
I remember how his voice was always loud, he never whispered; he would always state what he meant, and was always sure of it. Not a doubt crossed his mind, and overall, he seemed content. Fulfilled. Every day he brings me courage, and as I continue throughout my life, I will think of him and hope he thinks of me.
Although he is no longer with us, he will always remain in my heart, always be a part of who I am, and always be a part of who I want to be. I love you, Popop.

My grandfather is my hero. He recently passed away, and I just wanted to express how I feel about him. I hope that he looks down on me from heaven with a smile on his face. This story completely represents him and his amazing personality.

on Jun. 9 2012 at 7:37 am
Iknow you wrote this quite a while ago,but I was searching for boomsock a term my Dad used when I was growing up.He told me it was a game he played as a young man. Hie friends and himself would stand in the rafters of the grain barn and swing a bag of grain at each other trying to knock each other off into the grain heap below,dangerous I know. But I think he said they would yell Boomsock when they swung the bag. Thanks for your tribute,My dad is gone now too and it brought back some nice memories.

salliebee said...
on Aug. 5 2010 at 9:15 am
A wonderful testament to a hero in your life.  He was fortunate to have such a thoughtful granddaughter who appreciated him