A Moment in Time | Teen Ink

A Moment in Time

June 23, 2010
By Emily_Keen SILVER, St. Rose, Louisiana
Emily_Keen SILVER, St. Rose, Louisiana
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't Take Life Too Seriously, No One Gets Out Alive."


This day started as any other school day does: Breakfast, school, homework, chores, dinner. Only then did I realize that this seemly normal day would change my future and views on life as I know it. After dinner, I went to my room to finish up the bit of homework I had left. I heard my mom crying so I came out to see what was causing her pain. There I saw my mother in tears and my brother standing over her trying to figure out what was wrong. She hung up the phone and looked at us just standing there.

“Sit down kids,” and we did. I don't remember much about the conversation, just my mother trying to explain to us that Nanny Laura was very sick without making us worried. But it didn't work that well when she finally said the word: cancer. My aunt had cancer, and for the first time, my future didn't seem to bright. I just sat there, staring at my mother while my brother bean to weep at the news. She took him into her arms and tried her hardest to comfort him. Still, I just sat there; not crying, not speakings, just starring. My mother puts my brother to the side and looks at me. She wraps me in her arms, and then, only then, did my first tear fall from my eyes.

The next day, I refused to talk. This startled my friends, since normally I can't shut up. They tried numerous times to get me to speak, but nothing worked. That is until my friend pulled me aside and asked me what was wrong. When I told her, she just looked at me as I cried. I walked away, not wanting to face the reality. They haven't brought it up again yet. I guess that's a good thing, but whatever.

Little did I know that one little word could bring a family so much grief. Of course this isn't our first encounter with this disease. Many people in my mom's family have been stricken by this, even her own parents. I spent the next couple of days crying myself to sleep with this grief.

A couple of months later, after countless hours of research on the web, we got hit again. Within the span of a month, my mom and uncle went into the doctors and were diagnosed with pre-cancer. I was made weak again. After procedures, they were made OK again. They were off the hook for now. Unfortunately, a simple procedure couldn't be done to help Nanny.

These days were a couple of years ago; exactly how many, I'm not sure. I've kind of lost count of how many years its been, how many times we have gotten these distressing call, how many times my mom had to sit us down, how many procedures or hospital visits she has had, or even how many different types of cancer she has had. I've lost count of how many times Wikipedia has showed me my aunt's fate or how many times I've lost tears over this little word. It's powerful enough to leave me with no words to speak or anywhere to turn. I've grown tired of counting these useless numbers, because I know they will keep on rising until that unfortunate day comes.

Through all this, she continues to fight, the fight for her life. She refuses to give up and let this take her from us, but I think we all know sooner or later she won't be able to fight any longer. The numbers will stop rising and we can move on. Our last tears will be shed because of this disease and I will walk away from this experience with a new way of looking at life.


The author's comments:
A way to get all my thoughts and emotions out.