This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

By rugby_2010 BRONZE, Winamac, Indiana
rugby_2010 BRONZE, Winamac, Indiana

I believe that you can do anything with hard work and determination.
My grandpa was born with muscular dystrophy but was not diagnosed with it until his early childhood. When he got diagnosed with it the doctors told his parents that he would not live past his early twenties. He was always told that he would have to live off of disability checks if he even lived and that he would never get anywhere in life. My grandpa tried his best to be just like every other kid his age but it just was not possible in a world that was not handicap accessible. He tried to go to college so that he could do something with his life but he had to drop out because there was just no way to get around. He knew that there had to be a better way to get around and he eventually came up with the idea of the motorized scooter which he made in his parents garage. He started to sell these and then started to think again because he had to go to work and back and this is when he came up with the wheel-chair ramp in vans. By this time he was married and had kids so he sold the vans for money but that took up so much of his time that he had to give up his other job. He now has his own world-wide business and is enjoying life even though no one ever thought that he would live let alone do something this productive with his life. He had to try really hard to start his own business with everyone against him but he was determined to lead a successful life. Now he is successful with his own business and family.
He has taught me that with hard work and determination you can do anything even if everyone is against you. I have had to work hard for the education that I have gotten and I know that I will have to work hard later in life to succeed but I am determined to succeed just like my grandpa was.