Honoring Our Men and Women | Teen Ink

Honoring Our Men and Women

By Twilightchick BRONZE, Amarillo, Texas
Twilightchick BRONZE, Amarillo, Texas

"How can someone so tiny be so annoying?'

“Thump! Thump! Thump!” I listened to the rhythmic beating of my heart telling me that I’d survived another night. As I lay in bed waiting for the rest of the world to wake up on that sleepy morning, I found myself thinking of our men and women overseas, although, for the life of me I couldn’t figure out why.

The morning wore on and so did the thoughts from earlier. They kept pecking at my mind like a busy woodpecker. Finally I paid attention to these crazy thoughts. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. The reason I was thinking about the war in Iraq was because I never realized what our soldiers had to go through. They have to stay in a country so foreign to them that they can’t tell the difference between left and right. They have to miss out on all of the important things like the birth of their child, their child’s first words, first steps. Everything that we hold dear to us and take for granted a soldier never gets to.

So my question to you is, “When should we honor our men and women?” Every day? With every prayer? Or just every time we see them? Really think about this and think about what they are doing to save our country. Maybe this will help you to better decide.

When I was given this topic I wanted to write something from the heart and I felt this was the best way to do it.