My Very Special brother | Teen Ink

My Very Special brother

May 13, 2010
By flores BRONZE, Pullman, Michigan
flores BRONZE, Pullman, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

When I was little, my brother helped me on my homework in kindergarten. He helped me to read and to write. Now that I'm older, I know what he taught me was important.

Mario was always the one who helped me on my reading and writing. He showed me how to write my name, spell words, and read short books. My mom couldn’t because she couldn’t speak English. Even though she helped me on my ABC’s and other things as much as she could, Mario was a magnificent teacher to me.

I loved my brother very much. He took me to the park, bought me things, and loved me. Learning that he loved me, I knew he cared about my education. That is why I put my best effort into what he showed me.

In the year 2001, he got diagnosed with leukemia. I really didn’t know what was happening to him, but I knew it was not good. He passed through tough times in chemotherapy and surgery. Then on April 26, 2002, he passed away. I thought he was just sleeping, but then through my mom’s cries, she told me. I had many things going through my mind the second she told me.

Nowadays that he has passed away, I know he was important to me and me family. Even if I don’t remember him much, I know he was a special brother to me. Since he taught me the importance of learning, I will try to be a good learner and to keep my grades high.

Now days, I know he was an excellent teacher because he taught me well. Helping me to read and write has helped me a lot. Now I understand why reading and writing is important in school, thanks to my brother, Mario.

The author's comments:
my brother. Even though a death can be a tragic you will know he was important in your life