Heroes | Teen Ink

Heroes

April 7, 2010
By Biels BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Biels BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

A hero, as defined in the Merriam-Webster dictionary, is someone of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his or her deeds and noble qualities. In my mind, a hero is someone who betters your ability to do something or to help you achieve goals you never have before. A hero is the greatest person in the world to someone in need of support, and they can change our society by the way they move and converse.

Bob Dylan, an American singer-songwriter and musician, said, “A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.” Leigh Anne Tuohy, from the book, The Blindside: Evolution of a Game, was a very good example of being a hero. She helped out a 6’ 4”, 310-pound, African-American boy who needed help in their community. He was living on the bacterial-infected benches and only own two sweat stained shirts. His name was Michael Oher. Leigh Anne clothed him, fed him, and helped him do well in school. Their family eventually adopted him and made him their son. Leigh Anne presents herself as a hero for doing these things for a boy in need. She didn’t need to do these things, but something inside made her feel like she needed to.
Eventually, Michael took up football and became exceptionally good at it. He received many college scholarships. His top three choices included The University of Tennessee, The University of Mississippi, and Louisiana State University. He chose the University of Mississippi and played there for four years. He was a first-team, All-American offensive tackle and eventually got drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the first round. He is now starting at left tackle for the Ravens and doing very well financially.
Leigh Anne was a hero to Michael, and he was very thankful she did what she did. She said she would do it again if she had the choice, and she would probably do it the same way.

Morgan Freeman, an American actor, film director, and narrator stated, “Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was not a black hero. He was an American hero.” Freeman is right in saying that people, no matter what color their skin is or how they talk, can change people’s lives into something they should be. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is a great example of this. He led millions of African-American people to freedom with civil rights. He did all this because he felt he could make a difference to save humanity and he achieved it. He also received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964, being the youngest person ever to receive the prize at the age of 35. He was assassinated at the age of 39. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is now a national holiday on the third Monday in January. He brought a lot of joy to many people as a result of the Civil Rights Movement that was passed through society.

Nowadays, young kids believe heroes are people they see in movies or animations. The kids don’t realize that heroes they see in these movies aren’t real. They dress up like these characters on Halloween to believe that for one night, they have supernatural powers. The little boys and girls, however, don’t realize that when they grow up, the hero may perhaps lie inside themselves. There may be a Superman or Batman waiting to unfold in the later years of their life.
Anyone can be a hero: children, adults, and even the elderly. All society has to do is wake up and realize that people on this earth are meant to treat others with fairness. If someone cannot achieve this act, then maybe they shouldn’t be treated fairly. They shouldn’t deserve the kind of reputation other well-beings have if they treat others terribly. If there was peace on this world, people would never have any conflict or any hate. Just like Bob Marley once said, “Open your eyes look within. Are you satisfied with the life you’re living?” If only society looked inside themselves to find support and peace, people could be satisfied with each other and everyone around them.

The author's comments:
I feel heroes play an important role in our society.