The Life of a Soldier | Teen Ink

The Life of a Soldier

The Life of a Soldier

Both serving for our country, found love in Germany where they were stationed after getting back from Afghanistan. In Germany is where they met. They were only dating for a month before they got married. Two weeks later they got some unexpected news. Cassi was pregnant, the newlyweds couldn’t have been happier.

Months went by as they waited and prepared for their son to arrive. Finally, she went into labor. She was in labor for 48 hours before they decided that she would need a c -section. Two days and 30 minutes later their gorgeous baby boy was born. Both couldn’t have been happier except for the major detail they wanted to forget about. Jed had gotten a letter that said he was needed back in Afghanistan for 18 months. He had to leave ten days after his son was born. So the countdown began the next day.
Just ten days together and then ripped apart just like that. They would be away from each other for 18 months. The days had come when Jed had to leave, neither of them could hold back the tears. It was harder than they had imagined. They’ve only been a family for ten short days, and in the blink of an eye he was gone.

This piece is about a situtation that my family is going thru. The guy Jed in this story is my cousin Jed and Cassi is his wife. Everything in here is true and it's the shortened version of what happened. Also, this happened just over 2 weeks ago.