Jorge Ramos | Teen Ink

Jorge Ramos MAG

December 31, 2009
By xochitl14 SILVER, Passaic, New Jersey
xochitl14 SILVER, Passaic, New Jersey
9 articles 13 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"Faith is universal. Our specific methods for understanding it are arbitrary. Some of us pray to Jesus, some us go to Mecca, some of us study subatomic particles. In the end we are all just searching for truth, that which is greater than ourselves....Science tells me God must exist. My mind tells me I will never understand God. And my heart tells me I am not meant to.\"-Vittoria Vetra, Angels and Demons


The kitchen was filled with the typical aromas of Mexican spices and tortillas as my family sat around the small table, the television on in the background. The orange glow of twilight shone on the cityscape as a familiar voice presented the world news. It was a matter-of-fact, deep voice, refined with articulate and expressive words, occasionally containing a bit of emotion when presenting a particularly poignant news piece. It was the voice of one of the most renowned journalists in the world, Jorge Ramos.

Ramos began his career in Mexico, where he was born and raised. He had been working for Mexico's largest ­television network, Televisa, when one day, after the censorship of one of his ­reports, he decided to quit and find his place elsewhere.

Ramos immigrated to the United States, where his first job had nothing to do with his future career: he was a waiter in a Los Angeles restaurant. In 1986, three years after his humble beginnings, he became the anchor of Univision, which reaches more Hispanic viewers than any other network.

Since then, Ramos has won many awards and represented Latinos well. Over the years, he has become a part of many Hispanic households with his voice of credibility, trust, and authority. He has dared to do things no other journalists has done. He is famous for tenacious interviews with important and controversial leaders, including George W. Bush, Barack Obama, Hugo Chavez, and Fidel Castro, as well as for covering news in many dangerous parts of Latin America and the world.

He is a firm believer in the Latino identity and its influence in the United States. He keeps the Hispanic community involved in American society and the politics that affect us. Many have described Ramos as the “voice of the voiceless,” for asking questions we are afraid to ask, questions that have brought him many death threats. His intrepidity and bravery is something to applaud.

Ramos has been a solid figure in my life, shaping my dreams and beliefs. He has covered news stories that have touched my heart, changed my ideas, and motivated me to work toward greatness. His success in a country that was not his own encourages me to work hard to find my place here. His work and importance in the Hispanic community in and out of the United States has inspired me to follow his footsteps in journalism, and one day I hope that I may be a great journalist too. His fearlessness investigating dangerous and controversial international conflicts and national issues has made him an icon in public affairs.

Over the years, Jorge Ramos has become my role model and idol, the person who first sparked my interest in journalism. I look forward to one day meeting and ­interviewing the man who has become the “voice of the voiceless.”