(Insert Witty Title Here) | Teen Ink

(Insert Witty Title Here)

By Morgan Corbett BRONZE, Westfield, Indiana
Morgan Corbett BRONZE, Westfield, Indiana

What makes a hero? Is a hero someone who wears a cape and saves lives? A hero is simply someone who is kind, loyal, courageous, and hard working. There are many people who are heroes and they don’t even know it. My hero is my stepmom, Sarabeth Corbett. She exhibits these characteristics and more. Although she doesn’t wear a cape, she is still very strong, hardworking, and kind.

Sarabeth is extremely loving and kind, and she is an excellent role model for many people. She is one of the most caring people I have ever met. When she sees someone in need, she stops what she’s doing to go and help them. One day, when we were walking out of the grocery store, there was an employee struggling to dump the garbage can. Even though it was freezing outside, she went and offered to help him with it. Her random acts of kindness make other people happy. It’s refreshing to see someone so generous in a world where it is becoming accepted to only thing of ourselves.

At a very young age, she was held responsible for the things that she said and did. This helped her to become more conscious of the things she did, and made her very hardworking. Her motivation in life is to help other people, and this is evident in all aspects of her life. She isn’t one of those people who says they want to help others but never actually does anything. Even her job lets her help others. She works as a respiratory therapist at St Vincent. She works with the elderly, and she has to deal with people dying a lot. There is a lady whose husband is staying there, so she never leaves the hospital. The hospital doesn’t serve food on the weekends; consequently, she doesn’t eat every day. Sarabeth offered to go get her some food, but she refused. She has never eaten a meal that wasn’t home cooked, and she didn’t want to. So the next day, Sarabeth went out of her way to make this woman a home cooked southern meal. She didn’t have to do this, but she is so selfless when it comes to the needs of other people.

She believes that if you treat others the way you want to be treated, they will act the same towards you. She learned from her mother at a very early age to treat others with respect. As a child, she remembers how her mom was always doing something to help others out. Her mother inspired her, and now she is an inspiration to me and others. One of her best features is her smile. With it she can bring happiness to a complete stranger, because you never know, just offering a simple smile could make someone’s day.

Sarabeth is kind, loving, hardworking, and strong. She has great values and morals, and she teaches her children these traits. I have never met anyone as selfless and caring as her. She goes out of her way to help other people, and always tries to do the right thing. These are traits that make a true hero.