It couldn't get any worse, yet couldnt get any better | Teen Ink

It couldn't get any worse, yet couldnt get any better

By Katherine Cole BRONZE, Westfield, Indiana
Katherine Cole BRONZE, Westfield, Indiana

It couldn’t get any Worse, yet couldn’t get any Better

When people picture a hero, they picture a strong, tall, man with supernatural abilities. Just because Trevor Davies is 5’5”, small, and practically bald, it doesn’t mean he can’t be a hero in someone’s eyes. He is a great man who has dedicated his life to teaching children and young adults figure skating, but he also teaches much more than that. He was born in England on November 21, 1955. He was the middle child of the family and has one sister, and one brother. His family suffered from poverty practically his entire childhood though his parents were very hard working. Vacations for the Davies family were rare and far between, and birthdays and Christmas’s weren’t very extravagent; nevertheless, they were a strong and happy family. He started figure skating when he was 10 years old and hasn’t quit since then. When Trevor was a young adult and just about ready to start his own life, he realized his parents weren’t going to be able to pay for him to go to college. He had dreams of becoming a pilot or working with wood, so he put his head to it and worked at bars, paper routes, grocery stores, and drove a double-decker bus around England. He ended up paying for college and he majored in wood-working. But he when he got a great job offer here in America, he hopped on a plane and “took a trip over the great pond”. He spent several years in New York teaching private figure skating lessons as well as classes, then decided the city was a bit too big for him, and came to central Indiana where he now lives and gives lessons to many girls such as me. He has now lived in America 30 years. He is frequently asked if he ever misses England and his response is, “I miss England everyday.” He lost his father in his mid to late 20s from panchriatic cancer. Trevor has had trouble with asthma his whole life, and says it’s really bad when its cold outside. He also had stomach cancer about 15 years ago, and obviously survived. But, he says it made him realize that “there’s no reason to live a terrible life. You need to have fun and enjoy it while you have it.” His sister has had bone cancer, yet he says his “mom is almost 85 and still goin’ like a horse”. He is a hard working man that has impacted more than one person’s life by his loving words and actions, and that is why he is my hero.

Trevor is heroic for many reasons. One reason is that he put himself through college and perservered. He never quit or decided that it was too hard; he kept on going and working for the money. He had some jobs that the normal human being wouldn’t prefer, but he kept at it making little bits of money in little amounts, but when he put it all together, it turned out to be an eye-opening amount. It’s great that he wanted to go through college which showed that he wasn’t an immature teenager, he was interested in learning and wanted to do more with his life which shows a great amount of maturity and accomplishment.

Also surviving cancer is one of the most amazing things in the world, and he did it. He was in his late 30s to early 40s when he had to live through the dreadful disease. Trevor isn’t the only member of his family who has had to live through cancer, so it is most likely a hereditary cause. Because of this drastic event in his life, it left him to be brave and very optimistic which shows greatly in his teachings. He went through radiation and therapy that is very hard on anyone’s body, but came out better than ever and ready to prove to the world that you can survive cancer.

Being young, he moved here to America which shows confidence and bravery once again. Being away from home for 30 years can be hard on a person. He goes every once in a while back to England to visit his family, but it is quite rare, and expensive to go over and over again. And as he said, he misses England every day. He continues to show his confidence and bravery throughout his entire life. This example shows how he is very much like Odysseus. He stays away from his family for many years and misses them very much while traveling and trying to make it on his own.

Trevor has proved to many again and again that he is perservering, brave, confident, mature, and smart. With life still going, there are sure to be more problems, but be sure that Trevor will make it through whatever obstacle comes and he will prove to be even more herolike. These are all reasons why he is a perfect hero.