Dentist with a Golden Heart | Teen Ink

Dentist with a Golden Heart

By favresdabomb4 SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin
favresdabomb4 SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin

Randy M. Born in Bessemer, Alabama. A 48-year-old dentist. Randy is not only a dentist, but he is a hero in minds of those who call America home.

“I spent 20 years in the Air Force. Serving this long in the military gave me the opportunity to be stationed all over the country and even the world,” says Randy.

Being stationed as a dentist in Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Texas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iraq, Japan, and South America, Randy has some unbelievable stories.

“I’ll never forget the day I was stationed in Iraq and I heard an explosion. I was blown back physically and emotionally. As I looked down there was an 18-year-old boy. Legs and one arm blown off. I did my best to stabilize him until we had more help. We rescued him. I hope he is as happy to have his life as I am,” says Randy.
“When you join the military and see what happens here, you care more about life. It was lunch. My co-workers and friends were going to get food. I decided to go to Pizza Hut instead of going with them. The cafeteria was bombed. My friends, those that I cared about and worked with, were badly injured. Just like that.”

Randy’s involvement in the military makes him a true hero. His son, Jared agrees: “My dad serving in the military motivates me to want to do something special with my life,” says Jared.

Randy says, “There was one little girl that made such a large difference. She was on the ground. When we found her she had a piece of a blown up grenade caught in her nose. The Iraqis left her to die. The soldiers and I took her in. She put everyone in a good mood. In the end, she came to America. A soldier adopted and took her home.”

After 20 years in the military, Randy’s career was over. His wife, Teri says, “He spent so much time in the military; once it was over he was not the same at first. There was that guilt. That guilt that he should still be out there doing everything he can to help.”

Randy wanted to keep helping. That’s character. Some want to get in and out. But not Randy. He could have done what he needed to just to get by but he didn’t. He saved lives. This dentist retired as a Lieutenant Colonel.

People look at sports players: Brett Favre, Michael Jordan, and Tiger Woods and think hero. I look at people like Randy and think—hero.