Heroes | Teen Ink

Heroes

By girdythebirdy SILVER, Davis, California
girdythebirdy SILVER, Davis, California

I believe that anyone can be a hero.

A hero is someone who is strong. Someone who doesn’t give up easily, and someone who inspires others. A hero is someone who people look up to, and are in awe for the tasks they accomplish. Even during the times that a hero faces a questionable challenge or faces an obstacle, they still continue to be strong, even if they question themselves at the time.

In March, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. This was definitely the worst news my mom had gotten in at least 10 years. Yet, somehow she stayed strong....even though her world had been turned upside down. One night, my mom caught me crying in my bedroom. She sat on my bed, and comforted me. She told me that her cancer would never beat her. She told me our whole family had to stay strong. For the first time in weeks, I believed.

She continued through her busy life while at the same time she dealt with her surgery, daily radiation, and monthly chemo. At that time, she was confident and strong. Today, she is living cancer free. I was inspired to see my mom’s strength and hope during those scary months. To me, she was like a beacon of light in a pitch black hole. She helped me find my way out while she dealt with the problem herself.

At the same time, it’s not just my mom who I think is a hero. The people I’ve met on this strange journey have been the most incredible women I have probably ever met. Some of these woman were given a mere 6 months to live, but they still came to radiation every day, and sat in the waiting room. They would talk to me about where they lived, their pets, their sons and daughters, and their favorite things to do. These people were incredible to me because they seemed heroic for their actions and strength.

One of the women I met on the journey was named Betsy. Betsy was a 65 year old woman with a Stage 4 brain tumor that had spread to most of her brain. She was given 6 months to live. Betsy’s attitude was awe-inspiring to me because she was so happy. No matter what day it was, or what news she had received the day before, Betsy always appeared with a smile on her face when she stepped into the radiation room. Her attitude was like a break in the clouds on an overcast day. I thought that is was awesome how Betsy could put all of her worries behind her, and instead focus on the present day.

Another amazing woman my mom and I met was when we went to purchase my mom’s first wig. This woman’s name was Mary. Mary had been first diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago. 2 years later, when she thought she beat it, she had a recurrence of the tumor in her brain and liver. Despite the odds of living, Mary was also extremely nice, and happy to be alive. She taught me to enjoy our life, because usually we are too busy to fully stop and appreciate how lucky we are compared to some other people, who may not be as fortunate.

During this journey, I believe that everyone can truly be a hero...anyone can be like a superman. The catch is that someone must be faced with something challenging or life threatening to truly become one. A hero isn’t someone who wears a cape and swoops to the rescue. A hero is someone who is strong.
This I believe.

I wrote this for an English assignment based on the This I believe series on NPR.