My Mom, She's the Best | Teen Ink

My Mom, She's the Best

By Heather Martin BRONZE, Stockbridge, Georgia
Heather Martin BRONZE, Stockbridge, Georgia

Some kids look up to actors, athletes, war heroes, writers, historical figures, and musicians. They say those people are their heroes, because they were the best in their time, they’re lyrics are real, they do such great work, and etc. What makes me giggle when people say these things is that they don’t really know the person they look up too. They see what their hero portrays, but not how they really are. For all they know their hero could be a hypocrite. My hero though isn’t an actor. She isn’t a writer, a war hero, or a musician. My hero is my best friend, my mentor, my hero is my mom.

A hero by definition is a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal. My mom is my hero because she is selfless. I realize that she’s not happy in her marriage, yet she still with my dad. Why? Because she wants my brother, my sister, and I to have a father figure in our life, even if she isn’t happy. My mom is my hero because she’s giving. Even though we are financially tight this year she still finds the money to help out a friend in need. My mom she never gives up, when she says she wants something she’ll get it through sweat, hard work and a little bit of elbow grease. She is my hero because she just is. I admire her character, her personality, who she is, what she stands for, her flaws, her mistakes, her opinions. She’s always been there for me, through the good, the bad, and the just plain ugly times. She’s always just been there even when we didn’t want her to be.

I sometimes feel guilty about my mom. I don’t appreciate her as much as I should. I know that my brother, my sister, and I can be a lot to handle at times and I don’t give her enough credit. She works hard to make sure we have what we want and what we need. She’s there even when she just wants to drop everything and go live the life she dreamed she would live.

My mom is my actor, my athlete, my war hero, my writer, my historical figure, and my musician. She’s my best friend, my mentor, and my guardian angel. She doesn’t know how grateful I am to have her in my life, but she will soon.