The people person | Teen Ink

The people person

November 19, 2009
By Terroff BRONZE, Layton, Utah
Terroff BRONZE, Layton, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Just be kind and have a lot of friends.” One of the greatest influences of my life said that. It seems he all ways knows what to say and when to say it. This person is my Dad. He has been with me all my life and has taught me many a things and I am very appreciative, but one of the things I’m most thankful for is how he has taught me how to treat the people around me. He has shown me how to be kind to girls, to be friendly to everyone, and how to even put my self out to talk to people.

When my Father was dating my Mother they went to his mother’s house. While they were there his mother asked him to mow the lawn. Now I don’t know about you, but if I brought a person I was dating home I would quickly disincline until they left, but my Dad said
“Ok Mom.” and happily mowed the lawn.
Then my Grandma said a interesting thing

“You can always tell how a man will treat his wife by how he treats his Mom and sisters.”
Because of my fathers kindness to his mother my mom knew he was a good man to marry.
My father has told me this to help me to remember to be kind.

My Father is one of the friendliest people I know. He sends his kindness to people others may not take a second glance at. Instead of walking past he, maybe going out of his comfort zone, will talk to them or help them. It is an awe inspiring thing to see.
No matter where we are my dad has roles of five dollars. That’s no big deal, who doesn’t have money on their person; it’s what he does with the money that is important. He gives the money to every beggar he passes until he is out of the roles of five dollars. I just have to sit and say wow. I don’t know many other people would do that. My dad also used to ride the bus to and from work every day. When on the bus if a girl or elderly person would get on the bus, if there was no room, he would give them his seat, even if they were still in Salt Lake. He would also greet everyone who walked through the door he would hold open, just walking by, with simple
“How are you today?” or
“Have a great day!”
And if people didn’t receive a greeting like that he would say a million hello and hi’s.

To do a lot of these things you would have to be very out outgoing. For my Father it is a daily thing he did. This is because he learned how to talk to people and have good social skills. This is something his parents taught him, and now it is something he has taught me. Learning to be out going has helped him go far in work and every where. Now every time I go to a restaurant I learn the name of my waiter or waitress, and when I order I thank them by name.

Being friendly and outgoing are traits my father has made sure I inherit so when I meet a beggar on the side of the road I can give him or her a friendly smile and something to brighten up their day.

Now my father is not perfect he may be, in my opinion, one of the closet people I know to perfect as you can get. Some times he does lose his temper, which is a problem we all have to deal with.

For instance my little brother can’t sit still for the life of him. During dinner he stands and jumps, but he doesn’t eat. One day my dad had a stressful day of work and Christian not sitting still put him over. He said some thing which were mean and not even 15 minutes later my dad pull him aside and said he was sorry for his action and harsh words.

My Father has taught me a lot. The skills of kindness, friendliness, and being out going have been the best. I believe that if people look at what my dad has taught me they will be better people themselves and they would not pass by the beggar or treat all of their fellow men better. “Just be kind and have lots of friends and not have any enemies.”