Lance Armstrong | Teen Ink

Lance Armstrong

November 16, 2009
By Jaime Hiatt BRONZE, Kent, Washington
Jaime Hiatt BRONZE, Kent, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Hero Paper

Going into the final lap, the ribbon across the street is in sight, the sound of the next bike behind him, world record in sight.

Lance was born to race at when he was ten years old, he began running and swimming. At age thirteen, he was in a triathlon, which had a 1000 meter swim, a 15 mile bike ride, and a 3 mile run. At sixteen, he became a pro tri-athlete. He won the sprint course triathlon in 1989, and 1990.

After 1990, Lance was diagnosed with testicular cancer, abdomen, lung and lymph nodes; he also had a brain tumor, all at the same time. Chance of survival was 65 to 45 percent, then a 50 – 50 chance.

After losing the cancer, Lance placed 4th in a world road race Championship. In 1999, Lance won the Tour de France, and then in 2000, he won the race again. He went on to the Tour de France seven times in a row, which is a world record. Lance also had a gold medal, from the Olympics.

In 1998, Lance got married to Kristin Richard, who worked as a public recognition for cancer; they had two kids, but then were divorced. Lance has scene two other people sense.

In 2008, Lance came out of retirement and continued racing again. In 2009 he placed 3rd, beaten by his teammates Alberto Contodor, and Saxn Banks. He told reporters that he would race again in 2010. Lance got a new sponsor, Radio Shack and announced that his girl friend was pregnant with his new child.

Lance still has time to get another Tour de France win or a Gold Medal, and hopefully much more.