Royce Gracie the Best Fighter Alive | Teen Ink

Royce Gracie the Best Fighter Alive

November 12, 2009
By Connor Morey-Lindstrom BRONZE, Kent, Washington
Connor Morey-Lindstrom BRONZE, Kent, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Royce's popular career as a fighter began in 1993 after defeating three opponents after the Ultimate Fighting Championship. His brother Rorion came up with this inventive challenge as a way to show Gracie Jiu-Jitsu to the world. Royce was only 6’1 and 180 pounds and he was beating people that were up to 200 lbs.
I think that Royce Gracie is the best Jiu-Jitsu fighter alive. Royce Gracie beats people 100 or more pounds bigger than him and that’s the point of Jiu-Jitsu to give the smaller guy a chance to win. Royce Gracie won most of his fights in the 90s in UFC Championships. I think Royce Gracie is the best Jiu-Jitsu fighter because of his flawless technique and the fact that every fight he won it was by submission.
Royce Gracie was born on the date of December 12, 1966 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Royce was one of nine children seven of which were boys of legendary Helio Gracie. Royce began training with his father at a young age his father Helio never made his children take classes unless they wanted to. At the age of 8 Royce began competing and by the age of 17 he had a record of 51-3.
I would say one of Royce’s biggest fights was his comeback fight to UFC against Matt Hughes. Royce is a ground fighter whic means the best way for Royce to win was by submission and Matt was a more of a stand up fighter which means he had a better chance of winning by a knockout. I personally wanted Royce to win because he was my favorite fighter from the 90s because I grew up watching him on TV. I thought that Royce was going to tap out (submit) Matt since he is such a good Jiu-Jitsu artist but instead Matt knocked out Royce in the first round.