hero essay | Teen Ink

hero essay

November 13, 2009
By Anonymous

When one hears the word “hero” they conjure up images of men in tights and capes flying through the sky or brave knights upon noble steeds galloping to rescue a damsel in distress, but not me. The truth is that heroes are those who have the courage to stand up for what is right, those who stand as a beacon of hope, and a role model for all. They come in all shapes and sizes, all ages, and all backgrounds.

Upon being given this assignment, I was instantly struck with overwhelming indecisiveness. When trying to think of whom I should dedicate this essay to, I had a revelation- that it should not be dedicated to just one hero, but to all heroes. To all those who have fought for what they believe in, all those soldiers that have died in all the wars gone past. And people who have dedicated themselves to peace, and to benefiting others. Those like Gandhi, Marten Luther king junior, Buddha, Yeshua Ben Joseph, and Mother Teresa.



And then we must look upon all the common people that are seen as heroes in the eyes of others. Mothers and fathers who are looked upon by there children, grandparents by there grandchildren, even the mailman can be seen as a hero by a small child- even though it’s a bit ridiculous. I have a friend who as a little girl would turn on the TV and see all the successful women in the world, and saw them as her heroes. We must realize that sometimes it takes nothing more than having the courage to get out of bed in the morning to be your own hero.



I wanted to have an interesting ending with a point to make but as I write this it’s like 11:35 and I am very tired. So I want everyone to take what I said and make your own conclusion. thank you.