"Hero" | Teen Ink

"Hero"

November 10, 2009
By PEEEE BRONZE, Covington, Washington
PEEEE BRONZE, Covington, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"no sacrifice, no victory.."


When I hear the word “hero” I think of one name, and that’s Brian, my dad. In my eyes he’s one of the biggest heroes I’ve ever known or heard of. I don’t know him too well. But what I do know about him describes a true hero. I’m proud to call him my dad.

When I was about 2 years of age, my dad got diagnosed with cancer. Right before I turned 3, he passed away from the disease. There are many things that make him a hero. Including the fact that he was always a positive person and was always helping out whenever he could. To me those things are major characteristics of a true hero. And everyone should appreciate them.

There are many things about him that I appreciate. For instance, whomever would get mad about something and show their anger by yelling or putting everyone else’s mood down. They wouldn’t mean to but it happens. Anyways, as they would do so, he would take them to another room and talk to them about what happened and somehow, he would put their mood in the opposite direction every time. Making his/her and everyone else happy and enjoying the time we had together. He wouldn’t just do this every once in awhile, he would do this everyday. He was always so innocent, but yet so brave.

It makes me happy to know that he lived his last few months in his dream with his family and his dream house in Hawaii. I don’t just call him a hero because he’s my dad. I call him a hero because I look up to him like no other. Brian Engeland changed lives