Armed Forces - Coast Guard | Teen Ink

Armed Forces - Coast Guard MAG

October 30, 2009
By Brandon Boccellari BRONZE, Oakland, New Jersey
Brandon Boccellari BRONZE, Oakland, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When you hear someone talk about the United States Armed Forces, usually the Army, Navy, Marines, or Air Force are mentioned. It is true that they are major components of our military, but there is another branch that is often overlooked. Yes, I’m talking about the Coast Guard. They are huge contributors to the defense of our glorious nation and do not get the credit they deserve.

I was guilty of overlooking the all-important Coast Guard – until last October, when I attended a college fair. Many colleges had set up booths for students to stop by and learn more. Being a determined kid, I was on a mission to collect as much free college merchandise as possible – pens, key chains, etc. So, while carrying out this mission, I spotted a bottle insulator with the Coast Guard insignia on it, and I knew I had to have it.

When I went up to the booth to get it, a representative from the Coast Guard Academy started telling me about the school. I was initially uninterested, but I had to listen to fulfill my mission. But as he talked, the Coast Guard became more and more fascinating to me. By the time he had finished and asked if I had any questions, I was captivated by all the functions that the Coast Guard performs, and had completely forgotten about the insulator. From that night on, I had a newfound respect for the Coast Guard.

There are many services that the members of Coast Guard provide. They are primarily a search and rescue force, but also a response center. They mainly deal with the country’s coastal areas, although sometimes they work in international waters, because they have jurisdiction in domestic and international waters. From time to time, they deal with illegal aliens and seaward terrorist attacks. The Coast Guard have many responsibilities.

The Coast Guard motto is “Semper Paratus,” which means to “Always Prepared.” And on Jan. 15, 2009, the Coast Guard had the opportunity to demonstrate this. An airplane flying out of La Guardia Airport in New York was forced to land in the Hudson River. Because the Coast Guard is “always prepared,” they rushed to the scene to help. As a result, all 155 passengers were saved without major injuries.

So, the next time someone talks about the United States Armed Forces, ­remember that the Coast Guard is a vital component.