My Brother, Wyatt. | Teen Ink

My Brother, Wyatt.

My brother, Wyatt, is the most amazing person I've ever known. He is five years my senior, and infinitely more wonderful than me. He has been through so many difficult obstacles and he is incredibly strong.

He's been arrested so many times that I lost count, and has spent a bit of time in prison. I know he made those choices, but he was provoked. I know people might think I'm biased and only saying that because I love him. But, in all honesty, he made those bad decisions because he was hurt. He was looking for a way to cope, and he found relief in all the wrong places. Help was what he was looking for, and he went about it incorrectly.

Several things were inflicting pain on him. First; our parents divorce. He chose to live with our father. That was bad choice number one. Our father has been addicted to marijuana and who knows what else since he was a teenager, my brother didn't need that kind of influence. Wyatt started taking pills and drinking, which is a big cause of all the trouble. He didn't know what else to do.

Also, he had this horrible "girlfriend". She was disgustingly promiscuous and cheated on him while he was in prison.

When he came home from prison, our father wanted nothing to do with him. Our father thought he was a disgrace to our family and that he had ruined his life and would never make anything out of himself.

After everything, Wyatt has a strong enough heart not to hate the two people who betrayed him the worst, which is a lot more than I can say. The entire story is a lot more detailed than this, but I wanted to shorten it up to write an article about it.

group 7 said...
on Sep. 29 2009 at 9:27 am
I thought your piece was very heart wrenching and that it was very revealing. even though it was very sad, it was also very truthful.