To Be Immortal | Teen Ink

To Be Immortal

May 13, 2009
By Anonymous

Heroes are human, just like us. But compared to them, we are mundane. They have traits that distinguish them from others. The characteristics that make up a hero are emotional strength, knowledge, and their reasons of their conduct. These features help us determine a true immortal hero. Throughout history, from the time of Socrates, many were dubbed as heroes. Their wisdom still roams the Earth, and their rules still suffice for our needs. They used their years to help our beliefs. They even endured persecution knowing it would not benefit them. However, heroes and their instincts did it all for us. With their desire to improve society for their posterity, they attained many things with their characteristics.
First, a hero must have strength. Not physical strength, but emotional strength. It consists of two things; courage and sacrifice. Heroes are different from ordinary people because they have the determination to do both. Normal people do have the ability, but they prefer not to. Why would this matter? Why do I care? It’s not that big of a deal! Just live with it! I can’t take it anymore! Those are our thoughts when we face difficult situations. In contrast, heroes are fighting to liberate others. Mahatma Gandhi freed his fellow Indians from the English by using peaceful methods like protesting. Likewise, Martin Luther King Jr. used identical methods to resist and other segregating laws. Abraham Lincoln risked many factors by agreeing to the Civil War against the Confederates and passing the 13th amendment. Those actions required the heroes to be brave and fight alongside their beliefs. Each fought against another large group of power. This required them to have determination. Their persistence allowed them to continue battling with their adversaries.
A hero must be knowledgeable and talented. It may come naturally, or it may be acquired. Natural talent is one of the major factors that split ordinary from the extraordinary. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was a true child prodigy. He played for the queen and king of Austria at the mere age of seven. His sonatas are still a classic favorite for all. Albert Einstein was curious from his childhood. This led him to the theory of relativity, plus a Nobel Prize. Because of this, a pathologist from Princeton Hospital, where Einstein had died, preserved his brain, hoping future generations can understand why he was so intelligent. Not only gifted people, especially who use them properly, became heroes, but the ones that learned were, too. Marie Curie, a friend of Einstein and a fellow Nobel laureate, was ravenous for knowledge since the age of five. Before receiving recognition for discovering radium and polonium, which were later used to treat cancer, she busied herself in books and other study materials to identify the then-unknown radioisotopes. All of these heroes were gifted, sincere and perseverant.
Not everyone possesses these qualities. If we all did, every person would be a hero. But unlike a real hero, some do not have the sense. Helping someone has to come naturally, not by coerce. For instance, soldiers serving in Iraq are risking their lives for the general public. They are literally dying to protect others. One gain on this job would be the pay, which, approximately, does not exceed $100,000. If wanna-be heroes are materialistic, aiming only for the fame and glory, he or she will fail drastically. The only thing, if the money is subtracted, left would be honor and pride. That is something worth fighting for, not riches. Ordinary people’s desires are limited to the common, aiming only for their everyday needs. Heroes yearn for something more extreme. Their goals are high, so they crave to help people. It’s almost like a psychiatric condition. But throughout history, especially in ancient European civilizations, many of the brightest minds were under house-arrest, like Galileo, or executed, like Socrates. They were considered as deranged or as sinning outlaws for their curiosity and questions. However, their interests and contradiction played a key role in discovery. Those heroes wanted the world to know the world to know the truth. All of them did what they could within their power to aid others.

Centuries after centuries, many heroes appeared. The most idolized ones share the same traits; inner strength, intelligence, and their personal reasons. Every hero has his or her recognized achievements; we need all of them, different or not, to improve for our posterity. It helps us understand what our forefathers did for the better. Their teachings, their ideas; they are all immortal. Each and every one of them will last until the end.

The author's comments:
FINALLY!!! SCHOOL'S ALMOST OVER! (Irrelevant Comment...)