God | Teen Ink

God

If you were asked to think of a hero, the first thing that would pop into your head would probably be superman or wonder woman or some other superhero that wears a red cape and flies through the sky all the time. No offense to little children, but what about heroes in real life? There is Saint Joan of Arc, the female general who led the French army to several victories against the English; Abraham Lincoln, who was one of the greatest presidents of U.S. history; or even everyday heroes like firefighters and police officers and teachers. It could even be your mom and dad who care about you and do not want you to go to wrong way in life! These are all great heroes; however, my hero is none of these. I’m sorry dad but my hero is even more powerful and awesome. He is God!

Even though I’m only fifteen-years-old I have had some pretty difficult times in my life. When I first came to America, I did not understand why I needed to be here all alone just for my future. After several months of living in America, my grandfather, who was so kind and loved me so much, passed away. I called to talk to my mother and all she could tell me while I was sobbing on the phone was, “Don’t cry. It’s okay, my dear. You don’t need to worry. You just keep studying hard. That is all you can do now.” That night I went to my room and cried and cried. “Is my future in America worth more than living with my family?” That was the only question that I could think of. The next day my cousins and I went to the church where I saw this beautiful stained glass window that had a picture of God in it. Then I knew my grandfather was safe with God and happy watching over me. I realized that when I was crying, throwing all my pillows at the wall, and getting mad at myself God was all there with me the whole time. Knowing that helped me to finally relax a little bit and concentrate on studying again. A year after my grandfather’s death, my grandmother’s health started declining and unfortunately she passed away shortly after. I knew all I could do was pray for her and continue to focus on studying. So I was able to handle it better this time.

Now if I think about that same question “Is my future in American worth more than living with my family?” I know the answer. The answer is “No!” But coming to America was God’s will for me. He wants me to study here and find a successful career for myself that will make my family and myself proud. So do I consider myself happy right now? Yes I do. Who do I owe my happiness to? God. Who is my hero again? God is my hero!

Niccole SILVER said...
on Sep. 14 2009 at 4:34 pm
Niccole SILVER, Melbourne, Florida
Me 2! god is the world to me also! It is great to be able to depend on god with your life! I have had pretty hard times to but it is great when we relise that god is with us the WHOLE time! wut a relief! Keep writing and keep believing! :)

on Aug. 30 2009 at 2:07 am
distant_dreamer GOLD, Belmont, New Hampshire

"Life's a climb, but the view is great!"

Amen! God is my hero too, and always will be!! I'm 15, and I'm a Christian!!! I'm so sorry about your grandparents, just know that they are in God's hands, and they are so happy in heaven right now!! :-) I wrote a poem called "God is with His Children." Please check it out, and please keep writing more!!! :) Thanks! great work, keep it up 5 stars for you, this poem, and God!!! :)