My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

Hero: a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
Heroes are a strong part of people’s everyday lives. A person’s hero inspires them, encourages them, and teaches them. Heroes are motivation—they give people the support that they need to accomplish their hopes and dreams. Heroes can be anyone: a neighbor, a celebrity, a friend. But my hero is someone whom I hold very close to my heart. My hero holds various jobs: a teacher, a sister, a Mimi, and, best of all, a mom—my mom.

My mom is truly one of a kind. She has gone through so many struggles in her life, yet she still walks proudly with a smile on her faee. My mom is always supportive in everything I try to do and she is always up lifting whenever I am feeling down. My mom provides for me and my sisters by doing the absolute best that she is able to do. She stops whatever she is doing to tend to any need in my family—always trying to provide the best support possible.

But, my mom is not just any regular mom. My mom is a teacher. Yes, she teaches at my high school, but that is not the only teaching that she does: My mom teaches me everyday. My mom has taught me everything that I know; she has taught me how to be a kind person, a supportive sister, an excellent student, and a loving daughter. She has also taught me my faith and how to live a truthful and moral life. I can honestly say that if I did not have my mother, I would not be the same person that I am today.

My mom is also my best friend. I know that she only wants the best for me and that she will always protect me. My mom has all of my trust and I know that I can tell her anything, yet there I still have a tremendous amount of respect for her as my parent. My mom is the one person who raised me and was always standing behind me and guiding me. Who would not want to be a strong woman like her?

Heroes come in all shapes and sizes and varieties of people. But I proudly state “Like mother, like daughter: The greatest compliment there is.” There is no greater person in the world that I would rather model my life after. My mom offers so much to admire, and I believe she is the greatest hero there could ever be. My mom is what the word ‘hero’ means to me.