Kat | Teen Ink

Kat

By 0vis BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
0vis BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

My mind raced, the worried and useless thoughts infiltrating my head. The voice of doubt picked away at my bright smile. I allowed my anger and sadness to build up towards myself, friends, and family. Becoming cold and emotional, I was confused on how to control every emotion that passed.

Walking through the shiny, metal swing door stood one of my managers, Kat. Without having to say a single word, she knew something was wrong. 

“Hey, what’s going on?” Her voice was filled with worry. 

I contemplated telling her, I’m fine. However, Kat would see through my lies. 

I unfold, allowing the creases of a shirt to turn into a smooth, silky surface. My built up anger and sadness, burst through my shy demeanor. 

A normal person would have stood there, nodding their head. A normal person would tell me, “Everything will be okay,” or “I’m sorry for what you’re going through.” Kat is not a normal person. She truly cares, listening to the worried thoughts and drama, taking in every last word. 

Wrapping her arms around my weeping body, tears soaked her cardigan. She held me when no one else would. Accepting my pain and sorrow. 

Kat said, “Make work your outlet, your place and time to get away from your normal life.”  

The single sentence could be ignored, moving back into my daily routine. However, I listened. Kat had found a way for me to escape the doubt and sadness I had felt. She became the reason I love to work. The dedication and energy she puts towards her job motivated me to be as passionate as her. 

Kat is a manager at Buffalo Wild Wings. Before becoming a manager, she was a server and bartender. She helps the servers, bartenders, kitchen staff and hostesses. Giving us extra help and stepping into the chaos with a smile. She goes around, table-to-table and talks with the customers, asking “Is the food good? How was the service? Anything else I can get for you?” Kat creates relationships with her employees and customers, she opens her arms and heart, and listens. 

Kat taught me how to put on a bright smile, even through the nights with a line of angry customers out the door. Helping not only me, but everyone who has been graced with her dedicated, enthusiastic, and passionate self.

Thank you, Kat. For being there for me when no one else cared. For listening to my problems, even if they were small and blown out of proportion. For teaching me the many life lessons I was unable to learn through school. For being you. 

You are the only person who has taught me more about life, rather than books. You have made an  impact on my life, teaching me how to be strong, open minded, and dedicated. You are the reason I am the person I am today.