Cindy Lou Who? | Teen Ink

Cindy Lou Who?

April 14, 2009
By Toni Langr BRONZE, Nicollet, Minnesota
Toni Langr BRONZE, Nicollet, Minnesota
3 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Cindy Lou McCain is a wife, daughter, philanthropist, mother, humanitarian, and my hero. She is the heiress of Hensley & Co., the wife of Senator John McCain, the founder of the American Voluntary Medical Team, and travels with John McCain on the campaign trail. Yet for all her fame and media attention, Cindy McCain remains a humble servant of God. Cindy has witnessed first hand the suffering of people less fortunate than herself, and she has done everything in her power to alleviate their pain. In fact, she founded the American Voluntary Medical Team, for just that purpose; enabling doctors and nurses to travel and provide emergency medical care for war-torn and disaster-stricken third-world countries. The AVMT also brought one more thing to Cindy McCain, a daughter. While in Bangladesh, two orphan girls were taken care of by Cindy, and she eventually took them back to the United States, and adopted one of them.


But Cindy’s life has been far from perfect. In 1989, she was addicted to prescription painkillers, which she was obtaining illegally from the AVMT. In 1992, Cindy told John McCain about her addiction, and finally ended it. Though the addiction was finished, there were consequences still to come. A federal investigation was initiated when a former AVMT employee told the Drug Enforcement Administration of the addiction. Following the investigation, Cindy McCain made a public statement saying, “Although my conduct did not result in compromising any missions of AVMT, my actions were wrong, and I regret them". During this time of her life, Cindy showed bad judgment, but also took great responsibility for her actions.



Cindy McCain is my hero because of her faith, her compassion, and especially falability. She has shown that while some in her position might sit on a pedestal of immortality, even those who are rich and famous are just poor sinners. Cindy proved to me that even the worst problems one has can be resolved, and even when it is hard, one must take responsibility for their actions. One receives more than ever imagined when giving to others, even if more is just the satisfaction of giving. In the end, God does all things for the good of those who love him. So hats off to Cindy McCain, my hero.


Resource

"Cindy McCain." Wikipedia. 14 Oct 2008 .