Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

May 3, 2019
By ahssoccer21 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
ahssoccer21 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam Veteran,


When I hear the word veteran, I immediately think of a selfless, courageous, and strong individual. Someone who sacrificed their time, safety, and potentially their entire life, in order to protect the country we are lucky to call home. You are that individual, and no words will ever be enough to describe how grateful I am for your sacrifice.


My name is Emma, and I am a senior in high school. Growing up, my mom and dad always told me how important it is to thank those who served. I come from a family who is very proud of the men and women who put their life on the line for our country. When I was younger, I didn’t understand what war was or what those who courageously fought sacrificed. I just thought that those who wear the camouflage uniform were heroes. I am eighteen now and have learned about what fighting in a war really means, and you are still my hero.


I want to take the time to thank you for your service, but I also want to tell you how strong and brave I think you are. It hurts my heart to think that you may not have gotten the warm welcome home you deserved, and I am very sorry if that was the case. My grandpa served in Vietnam as well, and I constantly think about the courage you both have for sacrificing your safety to fulfill your duty to your country.


My grandpa always wears his Vietnam veteran hat; every time he visits me he wears it. I feel so much pride when I see him in his hat, and I want you to know that I am proud of you. I am proud of your courage and bravery, and I am proud of you for the strength you carry with you every day.


I remember learning about the Vietnam war in my U.S. history class. I was eager to learn about the war my grandpa served in, and I was completely heartbroken when I learned about what you went through, even after the war was over. I wish that you and all of your servicemen got the warm and loving welcome home that you deserved. I wish I could travel back in time and be there to thank you for your service.


No words will ever be enough to describe how special you are, and how grateful I am for you. I hope you had a wonderful time today at the honor flight, and I hope that you never forget how loved and cherished you are. I am forever in awe at your courage, bravery, and strength. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for your service.

 


Sincerely,

 

Emma