Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

May 3, 2019
By Nielz19 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Nielz19 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam Veteran,


For many it is hard to comprehend the everyday life of a veteran. How you get through the hardships that you have faced. The unappreciated welcome home from your station in Vietnam. I want to thank you for your service and show my appreciation for the sacrifices that you have made, and most of all I welcome you home.


My name is Nick N., I’m currently a senior in high school and will be continuing my journey to college next year. Recently I watched the Honor flight movie which inspired me to write to you. It never occurred to me that many veterans did not get the welcome home that they deserved.


I am 18 years old and I know that I could have been drafted at this age. Knowing this it makes me feel the need to thank you, because it had to be hard to make the sacrifices you made. I am appreciative for your service for many reasons but most of all because of the patriotism that you have. To me patriotism is unquestionable loyalty to your country, fighting for your country while there is controversy going on is hard to do. Putting personal opinions aside and making the sacrifices that you made makes me thankful.


When people thank you for your service I want you to know that it is more than just words. “Thank you for your service”… When I say this to you I mean it in the most sincere way possible. You are someone that we need more of in this world. Personally I have never been to a War Memorial and I do not know how it would feel to visit one. I am interested in your journey as a veteran and how the memorial affected and made you feel. Please feel free to write back on your experiences as a war veteran.