Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

Dear Vietnam War Veteran,

This year I had the honor to plan and work a Veterans day Spaghetti dinner at my High School. As I was setting up for the night, I did not know what to expect. I was lucky enough to be able to serve veterans a nice meal and get to spend time talking to them and hearing their stories. From this experience, I learned how important it is to reach out to veterans in order to learn more about our history. In order to learn more about what you all went through. Through hearing these experiences, it allows me to become more grateful of the world I live in today.  

My name is Savannah, and I am a senior in high school. Up until a few weeks ago, I was not sure what the Honor flight entailed. After watching the Honor Flight Movie, it was clear to me that this is an experience you will never forget.

As a veteran in the Vietnam War, I know it might be hard to look back at your welcome home. But I am writing to warmly welcome you home from a trip that hopefully made you realize how much you mean to me, to others, and to America. . Without your hard work, strength, and bravery the world would be a different place. Although sometimes, it is easy to only remember the bad memories you have from a certain time, I want you to know I appreciate your time and service.

As I move forward in my life and begin my journey to college, I think about how my life would be different if I had to go to war. I have always been so set on what my plans were for the future, but what if that all changed in an instant. I cannot imagine what it would be like to fight in a war, when you barely even know what you want to do with your life. Let alone, when you know what you want to do with your life and must change your path completely.

I am thankful everyday I am able to follow my path because of the sacrifices veterans have made for me. This journey would not have been possible without you, and I am going to work hard towards my goals in order to make my country proud. Just like you did.

With Love,

Savannah