Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

Dear Navy Veteran,

America is a country blessed with freedoms. Here, we can practice our religion openly without persecution. Boys and girls can go to school freely and earn an education of their choosing. The money we earn is ours to keep and spend as we wish. We never blink twice at what we have available to us in this country. Most people go their whole lives without realizing why we are able to the things we do. But these freedoms come from people who put their lives at risk to protect the people and freedoms of America. These freedoms come from you.

My name is Ethan. I am a high school senior in Hartland, WI. As a young boy, my father taught me to always thank veterans if I ever saw one. I can remember the times we were in airports and he would call me over to thank a veteran seated across the aisle. As a young kid, I never understood why he had me do this. But, as I grew up I slowly learned why these men and women needed to be thanked. I learned that these people had devoted their lives to protecting their country, including you, and they deserved at least to be personally thanked by the people that they have protected.

You have inspired me. For many years I have looked up to you and what you have done for this country. Your dedication and service deserves more than just a simple “thank you.” I have decided to repay you and the others who have served this country by following in your footsteps. Upon graduation of college, I will be commissioned as an officer in the Navy. Obviously, my service will amount nothing compared to your service during war time, but the least someone can do is repay you through continued service.

Welcome home. To the land that you have protected and sacrificed your life for. The land that is blessed with freedoms thanks to your service.

Letter to Navy Veteran