Welcome Home | Teen Ink

Welcome Home

By 9carrington SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
9carrington SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

WELCOME HOME! I know your initial return home from Vietnam was no where close to what you deserved. Just the thought of people disrespecting the men and women who fought for this country is disturbing and extremely offensive. I cannot put in words how grateful I am for you and the respect I have for you.

My name is Chase, and I am a senior in high school and just like you around 18, I have thoughts about joining the Marine Corps. With the school year almost at a close I’ve realized that your reality might become my reality. Let me just say how honored I’ll be following in your footsteps and everyone's before yours. Wanting to serve and protect the most amazing country in the word is undoubtedly an act of true selflessness and bravery.  Even though I have a idea on what happened overseas, I’ll never truly understand the experiences you went through. Thank you.

I have family members in the Military. Due to that I was always taught to thank someone serving or someone who had served, even if I felt uncomfortable or didn’t know what to say. Thank you, Thank you for your service or thank you for your sacrifice to this country. Unfortunately, I never really understood what that meant for most of my life. Overtime it didn’t just become a saying to me, but instead it started to mean so much more. So thank you once again for everything that you have done for this country and know how much it means to me and everyone else.

I hope that this Honor Flight becomes one of the best moments in your life. You deserve to be recognized for everything that you have done for this country.

With respect,

Chase C.